Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty.

~*~*~* Eirian's POV ~*~*~*

I held Demetrious to my chest - his head was gently balanced on my shoulder as I spoke to Nyx while she rummaged around the kitchen. They had given her a year off to take care of the baby, so she was currently a stay at home mum. I could tell it was taking a toll on her - she seemed really bored... But the house was amazing clean.

"Christian brought me a new necklace today... Well, it's not really new. It was his great grandmother's but she wanted to give it to me. Apparently she's the only one in the family that really accepts him." I told her, sorrow filling my voice as I gently rearranged Demetrious so that his little hand was digging into my chest painfully.

"Ah, well it is usually like that with vampire clans." She said, respectfully. I could tell that Nyx wasn't really found of Christian - she felt that he couldn't do a great job of taking care of me. But at the same time she didn't care too much - she knew that he makes me happy and I think that was enough reason for her to put upo with him. "If they feel that a child, or any other member is unable to provide or contribute to the clan,  then he will become an outcase... Or killed. But in the case of Christian they can't kill him - he's a born vampire, not a created one." She glanced up at me, knowing that it was a touchy subject.

"It's okay, I know." I smiled at her, it was a little forced but everything was becomming easier to deal with. Demetrious yawned - squeaking a little in my ear before shifting in my arms and crying out for Nyx. She glanced upwards, but ignored him - continuing on with pulling out pots and pans to make breakfast.

"So what are you doing up so early anyway? It's unlike you." She glanced over at me, before making her way over to fridge and pulling out the container we kept eggs in. "Do you want me to cook you a breakfast too?" She stared at me, freexing in place with the clear plastic egg container in one hand and the fridge open next to her.

"Yes please! With lots of bacon. I love bacon." I told her, smiling cheerfully. I really did love bacon - it was amazing. "I'm not entirely sure why I'm awake so early." I watched as she took out two eggs and laid them on the stove - ready for cracking. Nyx pulled out the bacon, and started cutting off rinds from the peice - she cooked them seperately so they became wonderfully crunchy instead of the yucky chewy that they would be the way my biological mum cooked bacon back home. "I think I'm just excited to wear this at school today." I looked down at myself, feeling Nyx look up at me.

"I can see why. It looks lovely on you." She smiled, before turning back to her cooking as Demetrious shifted in my arms again, and made a loud and squeaky dissatisfied noise. I was wearing my old black skinny leg jeans, with a pair of floral wedge shoes, and a light cream V-neck T-shirt. It showed a little bit of cleavage, but I liked it, and it wasn't so much to make me look like a slut.

I had chosen the outfit to concentrate people's attention on the necklace that Christian had given me. Luckily Demetrious was too busy sleeping to notice it yet - it was a ruby in the shape of a heart, dangling on a delicate silver chain. It looked really fragile - but Christian had assured me it was more durable than the thick chains that humans would make.

It would have had to be though, if his great gandmother had been given it by her husband when he was still courting her. The ruby was encased in a larger silver heart - acting like a small protective prison around the precious gem. It realy was beautiful - and Nyx had told me that I could use it to store energy instead of the other necklace that I had... the one that I've had since I could remember. I had agreed with her - and so Nyx had taught me how to shift my energy from one stone to the other.

Because of this, the ruby really was a heart, so to speak. Without the energy stored in it I wouldn't be able to keep my immortality. Demetrious shifted once more before squawking loudly and bursting into tears - crying for Nyx to feed him. It was awkward, although I did feel a little sad for the warm, soft lump that had been keeping my torso warm when he was sleeping. Nyx carefully set down her cooking things, and lowered the temperature on the stove so that she could feed him without burning the bacon.