Bittersweet Goodbyes (Aquariumplantshipping)

A hurt/comfort Aquariumplantshipping oneshot where Mallow is upset since it is the anniversary of her mom passing away, and she still can't help but feel bad about what had happened before, especially since Shaymin left. Lana decides to take her back to the forest.

TW: This chapter may be upsetting to people who have lost a loved one in the past so if you don't want to be reminded of the pain, please wait for the next chapter to be made/skip to the next chapter
You have been warned...

Headcanons for this chapter:

- Mallow and Lana are already dating, but have only been for a short time, so they accidentally call each other best friends sometimes

- Lillie still hasn't returned from finding her dad yet, so she won't appear in this chapter

-----

Lana's POV:

Today was another sunny day and a school day, too. So with that, I put on my clothes and ran to school.

When I got there, I immediately spotted my best frie-, I mean girlfriend, Mallow. I waved at her, but she didn't look up from her desk, and I then realised she looked upset and not her normal, cheerful self.

"Mallow, are you okay?" I asked.

"I-i'm fine, d-don't worry!" She stuttered, fighting off her tears.

I really wanted her not to lie to me and to have more time with her, but suddenly Professor Kukui announced that class was starting, so I had to head to my desk.

During lessons, I was still really worried for her. She usually puts her hand up a lot, but she doesn't have it up once at all. When Professor Kukui called on her, when she answered, her voice would sound muffled, but no one could tell.

I tried to pass notes around the class to her, but none of them worked as she would just crumple them up when she received them. It felt like she didn't like me anymore...

When recess started, I immediately tried to run towards her, but then she ran away. Kiawe and Sophocleus noticed, so they started chasing along with all of their pokémon, but still we couldn't reach her.

Soon enough, she was backed into a corner, and I then told the boys to leave since it was my job to comfort her, and they did as I said.

"Mallow, I really want to help you, but I can't if I don't know what is going on!" I said softly.

She walked over to be and gave me a tight hug. After that, she then stared at me with her teary, green eyes and explained: "Today is another anniversary of mom passing away!"

"Oh, didn't you only visit her recently?" I asked.

"A few months ago, but I miss her already," She answered, "And I still feel guilty about what I said..."

"Do you want to see her again?" I questioned.

"Kind of, but I want to do it with you!" Mallow responded.

"Me? But why?" I asked.

"Well, back when I was younger, I had always wanted to one day have a relationship like my mom and dad's, and I really wanted to show her the day when I would find that person!" My green haired girlfriend explained, "But even though we aren't married, I still think I have come so far!"

"Okay then, we'll do it!" I said.

So throughout the rest of the school day, we finished off our lessons, and I also comforted her and got the others to do so too. Then, after that, it was time.

Mallow's POV:

Because the forest was all the way in Poni Island, which has two islands between it and Melemele Island, we had to get our Ultra Guardian ride pokémon to fly over to there. It took a few hours, but it was worth it.

We landed down and then wandered down the path and tried to relocate it again. As we did so, we I was squeezing Lana's hand the whole way.

Her hands were so soft, and I was just so stressed about the whole situation while grief was also washed over me. But all of my worries disappeared once we reached the forest.

It is quite easy to get lost in here because it is so misty, so we made sure to stay close together. As soon enough, I spotted a lady in a blue dress and immediately recognised her.

"Mom!" I called running after her.

She turned around, and her eyes widened.

"Mallow!" She called back, stretching her arms out for a hug.

Even though I couldn't touch her, it was just nice to see her again.

I turned back around and then found Lana finally being able to catch it with us. She was panting, but then she looked up and stared at my mom since she had never really met her before.

"Lana, this is my mom!" I introduced her, "And mom, this is my girlfriend, Lana!"

"You have a girlfriend?" Mom asked.

"Yes, is that okay?" I questioned, starting to get nervous.

"Of course it is, I'm so happy that you have now found the person who will care for you for the rest of your life!" She responded, clasping her hands together.

There was a moment of silence, and I wasn't really too sure what to say next.

"Is that all you came here to say? She asked, a puzzled expression on her face.

"Well, I did have that to say, but..." I mumbled, "I miss you!"

I stared, feeling tears beginning to pour out of my emerald green eyes. Lana was starting to worry and hugged me tight, which then gave me the confidence to keep on going.

"It's difficult without you, and even though I thought I was moving on, Shaymin leaving shook me so hard even though I was aware it would happen one day!" I admitted.

My mom then walked over to me and put her ethereal hand on my shoulder.

"I know deep you truly won't be able to fully move on, but your progress is amazing, and now you have someone new who can help comfort you!" Mom said, gesturing towards my girlfriend.

I turned towards Lana and saw that she had an understanding smile on her face, and I knew as long as she gave that while I was in pain, I would get through.

So with that, we both said our goodbyes to my mom, and we both walked off, hand in hand. I was so grateful towards the blue haired girl beside me, so once we got back, we shared our first kiss...