Learning To Move On (Implied Amourshipping)

This is an angsty Ash and Serena oneshot (with implied Amourshipping) where Serena expresses how she would much rather follow her path as a performer than date him, which leaves Ash feeling distant and cold...

------

Serena's POV:

I found myself sitting beside my desk, daydreaming. I couldn't help but think of the last time I saw Ash was a few months ago, and yet even then, it hadn't been a real reunion.

On that day, I was just waving goodbye to my new friend Chloe, who was boarding the cruise back to Kanto, and then just before it went, Ash ran past me. We had a little catch-up, but it was only for like ten seconds or so. And then the cruise sailed away...

But when I did see him, he just didn't look the same. His clothes looked less mature, and his personality seemed more happy-go-lucky, or at least compared to the Ash I kissed back in Kalos.

He was like a handsome prince back then, one that I felt would sweep me off my feet and whisk me away to his faraway castle. But no matter how much he's changed, he is still as oblivious as ever.

I don't really feel the same way about him now, and I would actually prefer to pursue my career at becoming a top coordinator in Hoenn now instead. But if he did actually happen to have feelings for me, I had to let him know!

So I got out my Rotom Phone and decided to leave him a text:

Me:
Hi Ash, I know we haven't really chatted in a while, but if you aren't busy, maybe we could meet at Sushi High Roller and have a catch-up? Preferably just us two

I added the last part because I didn't want him bringing any of his new travelling companions with him.

Almost immediately, he sent a reply saying that he could meet me there, and I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing I could finally chat with him about everything that had happened.

I put on my grey tank top, magenta plaited skirt, and grey bowler hat before jogging down the stairs. I waved goodbye to my mom and then headed out to Lumiose City.

When I got there, I waited outside of the shop until he arrived. I knew he would take a while, but I was very patient to wait.

After a few hours, I could see a raven-haired boy with a red cap and Pikachu on his shoulder and knew for a fact it was him. I ran over but didn't try to hug him or anything since I didn't want him to think I'm going to try and kiss him again.

"Hi Ash!" I waved.

"Hi Serena!" He waved back, Pikachu copying him.

We both entered the building, but as we walked to the reception, I kept my hands behind my back so we wouldn't end up holding hands. He looked a little disappointed by this but just tried to ignore it and continue.

We both ordered and then sat down at a table we were assigned to. At first, I thought there would be an awkward silence after the... kiss, but I looked over to see he was beaming at me and was buzzing to ask a question.

"How have you been recently?" He asked.

"Oh well..." I put a finger to my chin as I thought of an answer, "Pretty good, I just came back from Hoenn and so I'm going to stay here for a while to train to become Kalos Queen!"

"Nice," He replied, grinning, "I just became the World Coronation Series' new monarch!"

I had previously been sipping out of a glass of lemonade that had been placed on our table during the conversation, but I suddenly spat it out, completely forgetting I was sat opposite to a world champion!