5.

ARIKA

I sighed in relief, feeling the warmth that wasn't there before. I also felt cosier than before, which may be why the nightmares stopped.

Despite all the warmth, two things were missing— my boat's gentle rocking and the sea's sound. Instead, everything was still, and I heard the sound of fire crackling somewhere around me.

I cracked my eyes open slightly and tried to get a glimpse of where I was. Instead of finding the familiar walls of my shop's cabin, I saw grey stone walls on which several shadows danced. It looked like I was in some medieval castle. It puzzled me, but I noticed a particular shadow that stood out before I could crack my neck to the side and see more.

From what I could see in my blurry vision, the shadow seemed to be of a man. I wasn't alone in the room then. Soon, I felt someone's eyes on me. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep while I searched for other noises in the room.

As soon as I closed my eyes, I heard the sound of a chair scrapping, followed by footsteps. I tried not to panic as the footsteps headed my way before they stopped in front of me.

Hot breath brushed my face, sending shivers all over my body.

"I know you're awake," a deep and masculine voice said close to my face. I had never heard that voice before, and despite it speaking to me, I kept my eyes closed and my breaths deep as if I were sleeping. I waited for the voice's owner to go away and leave me alone, but he continued hovering over me.

I almost frowned at him for being so adamant about not leaving me.

"I can feel you're awake. There's no point in pretending to be asleep," the voice added with a hint of impatience. I kept my eyes closed for a few more seconds, waiting for the voice's owner to make the next move, but he never moved. "Open your eyes," He hissed at me instead, sounding more vexed.

I decided to keep my eyes closed and see how long he would tolerate me. He scoffed when another minute passed, and I didn't open my eyes. I felt the bed beside me dip as he sat, showing his adamancy. Another minute passed, and finally, he seemed to get bored and gave up.

I felt him get up from my side, followed by his footsteps leaving the room. I waited for a few seconds to ensure he'd left the room. I opened my eyes and sat up with a jerk that I instantly regretted. I might've stretched a nerve too much, but I ignored the pain and looked around frantically.

The room that I was in was made up of irregular grey bricks that were usually cut from huge boulders—a medieval construction method. The wood frame of the windows rattled as the strong storm blowing outside shook them. I shuddered.

I was on a cot, wrapped in thick fur. I ran my fingers through them, feeling uncertain about the whole thing. Furs weren't my thing, really. I was more used to wearing tank tops and tan.

Shadows danced around me because the blazing hearth was the only source of light in the room. I glanced at the hearth only to gasp out loud to find a man standing at the door. I almost freaked out and fell out of the cot as soon as I looked at the man. He'd tricked me into this.

However, it wasn't his presence that freaked me out. Instead, it was his horns and strange features.

He was a Drakkon— a fucking dragon. He had grey scales and curling horns despite his very humane features.

"I knew it was an act," he said, and I realized that the voice from earlier belonged to him. "I could feel it. One's breaths don't lie," he said, stalking into the room with his eyes darkly set on me.