9.

IVRET

I stopped outside the guard's room in the westernmost tower, eavesdropping.

"I'd love to know that, Zorge," I heard Arika's voice. Something about how she'd said Zorge's name sent a bolt of jealousy through my body. I clenched my jaw, fuming.

"Well, that'd come at a cost," Zorge returned. The suggestive tone of his voice was unmistakable. I wanted to storm inside the room and drag Zorge out for the duel we constantly postponed.

I wanted to defeat him and claim my rights to the female, but Zorge was doing what he was best at— trickery and manipulation. It fuelled my anger.

"What cost?" Arika asked, her voice softer than ever. I clenched the tray and turned around the corner to finally enter the room. I spotted Zorge sitting on the cot while Arika was leaning close to him. Seeing the two so close made the jealousy burn more intensely in my chest, which surprised me.

Zorge had nothing worth being jealous of, yet here I was... plotting to kill him for being close to that female. I didn't want him anywhere near her.

It was because of the female. I... was fascinated by her. It felt odd admitting this to myself.

"I want to see your—"

"I've brought your supper, Arika," I interrupted before things could progress further between them.

"Thank you!" Arika tore her gaze from Zorge and focused on me, instantly dampening my jealousy. Zorge's frustrated growl made me feel even better.

I went to the cot and set the tray in front of Arika. She was beaming at me, and it almost made me want to smile back at her. She hadn't beamed like this for Zorge, which made me feel smug about it.

However, as soon as she looked at the food, the colour from her face drained. She covered her mouth and nose.

"What's that?" She asked, looking somewhat disgusted by the food. I frowned at her.

"It's fresh seal meat. I carved it just a few moments ago, and that's seaweed soup. You should try that. It's great," I told her, pushing the plate closer to her.

"Why isn't the meat cooked? Heck! There's blood all over it!" She shrieked, moving further away. I looked at Zorge, confused. He was equally confused by her reaction.

"Blood means fresh, so why would you cook the seal meat? It's best fresh and uncooked. Cooking will destroy half the nutrients," I told her, and she shook her head.

"I get the whole eating raw for the nutrients thing, but there's enough mercury in the seal meat to kill me," Arika said, covering her nose. "And it smells so bad. How do you even eat it?"

"Like this," Zorge tossed a piece in his mouth, chewed it effortlessly, and I shrugged at her.

"You've never eaten seal meat before?" I asked her. "It's the best,"

"No, it's not!" She snapped. "I'm a sailor by profession. I've tried a lot of raw ocean creatures, and by far, the seal has been the worst! I almost got mercury poisoning. I'm not eating that!"

"So you belong to Sailor Class," Zorge commented, but I shook my head and ignored him. I was more concerned about Arika's qualms with food.

"You've got to try this one. One of our men caught it this morning. The seals taste better here," I offered her, but she looked obstinate.

"Even if it was, I'll die. I'm not a dragon. I'm a human," She said pointedly, fanning my irritation.

"What would you prefer to have then?" I asked her.