Chapter Three - It's Just Easier This Way

Chapter Three - "It's Just Easier This Way"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

Alyssa grabbed onto my arm suddenly and made me jump. I laughed at her abrasive attitude, which usually comes around whenever she drinks. She's a quiet, polite girl for the most part. Then she has a few drinks and poof – loud, outspoken, lovable Alyssa comes out of nowhere.

"Come on, Stevie. Let's go play flip cup with everyone," she said, slurring her words a little bit.

"If you want to," I chuckled. The alcohol hit her faster than it did for me, which is odd because we're about the same size.

I still feel a little buzz, but I'm not too out of whack or anything. Alyssa is kind of getting to the point where we need to look out for her, which I'm sure Alex has already been doing for half the night.

"Yes! Come on. They're all just standing over here, being boring boys," she shot at Alex, causing him to look at her with a smirk.

"Excuse me?" He raised an eyebrow, leaving the conversation he was in with his friends.

"You heard me," she giggled and shoved her finger against his chest. "Come on."

She dragged me away from our friends, as I rolled my eyes with a smile at Alex. "I'll look out for her," I told him.

"Thanks," he chuckled with a nod.

"But first, we have to pee," she changed direction and headed towards the bathroom instead. We waited a couple minutes since someone was in there, while Alyssa did her bathroom dance, and then she pulled me in with her.

She plopped down on the toilet while I stood at the sink, staring at my reflection in the mirror. My hair is a little frizzy and all over the place, and my cheeks are flushed. But it might be because I'm either 1, hot from all of the people in this house or 2, flustered by being around Oliver.

Either way, I look like a hot mess.

"So," Alyssa spoke up. I turned to look down at her with an amused smile. "You should make a move tonight."

"What?" I asked, a little confused. But I think I know what she's talking about.

Actually, I do know what she's talking about. I just don't want to admit it.

"On Oliver, silly," she giggled, flushing the toilet and then washing her hands.

"No no no. No way," I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Why not? You like him, so do it," she brushed it off.

"Easy for you to say," I pursed my lips.

Why does everyone assume that it's so easy for a person to tell their crush that they like them?

"Stevie, come on. Give me one good reason why you won't," she turned to me and put her hand on my shoulder with a smile, raising an eyebrow.

"Um, he'll reject me? Or uh, how about this one – he won't like me back?" I stated the obvious, raising my eyebrows back at her.

She hesitated for a few seconds, thinking about my answer before she quickly came to a conclusion.

"Nope, not good enough," she shook her head.

"Alyssa, please. I'm not doing this," I couldn't help but laugh a little. I'm pretty sure it's nervous laughter though.

She pressed her lips together in a fine line, sighing in annoyance at me. I just smiled back.