Chapter Thirteen - I Have Manners, You Know

Chapter Thirteen - "I Have Manners, You Know"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

I could not stop thinking about the fact that I have a twin sister for the next week. It was impossible for me to go five minutes without the thought crossing my mind. I didn't get to look for any pictures yet because my dad was always lingering around or in his room, busy working on things I usually never ask about. Which probably includes keeping my sister a secret.

But the next weekend on Saturday morning, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel.

At around 10 o'clock in the morning, I was already awake and downstairs eating breakfast by myself at the kitchen table. I made myself some oatmeal and coffee, opened up a new magazine that came for me and got lost in my own world.

I heard my dad's footsteps echoing throughout the house on our hardwood floors, but I didn't bother to ask him if he was going anywhere. The answer would most likely be no.

"Hey Steve?" His voice called for me.

"Yeah?" I raised an eyebrow with a mouthful of oatmeal.

"I'm going out. We need orange juice and some other things, so I'll be back in a little bit. You gonna be okay?" He finally walked into the kitchen with his coat on, ready to go.

"I'll be fine," I nodded. But I'm grinning like an idiot on the inside.

"Alright. I won't be long," he smiled, waving goodbye and heading for the front door.

"Bye!" I yelled after him. He waved again, opened the door and then shut it behind him. I waited a minute for his car to start up, then back out of the driveway and the sound of the engine faded away as he drove down the street.

Perfect.

I gulped down the rest of my breakfast and ran to his study after I cleaned off the table. It looks like every other time I've been in it – dark and lonely. I ran to his desk and plopped down on the floor, then opened up the drawer that holds all of the secrets I have been dying to know.

Nothing has changed from when I last looked in here, so I carefully took some things out and laid them on the floor. Some more cards, both from Nicolette and addressed to her from my father, I guess as drafts.

Then I found the pictures.

I pulled out the folder stacked with Polaroids, disposable camera photos and ones printed on computer paper. My hands started to shake a little as I held it, refusing to open it for a minute.

"Oh, God," I muttered, shaking my head and looking away. "Here we go."

My cold, trembling hands finally opened it up, making sure not to let anything fall out. And there are pictures upon pictures of my supposed twin sister that meet my eyes.

I pick up the first picture I see, which is of a group of four people – three girls and one guy. They're all standing in a line with their arms around each other, the background a dark green wall. The guy is tall and handsome, two of the girls are gorgeous brunettes, and there's one blonde.

Never in my life have I seen this girl. But as soon as I saw her in the picture, I knew it was her. Something in my memory sparked for a mere second, and then it was gone. But it was like I remembered her for a brief moment.

It was there and then it was gone.

She has the same color hair as me, slightly wavy and down past her chest which is a little longer than mine. Her face is heart-shaped, perfectly complemented by a big, white grin. From what I can tell, she seems to be pretty short compared to the rest of her friends in the photo.