Chapter Twenty-Six - I Always Cook To Impress

Chapter Twenty-Six - "I Always Cook To Impress"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

When I said that my sister wasn't going to be around as often as I'd like, I think I misunderstood her ways. A couple weeks later, she came up again to spend Easter weekend with us. It took me by surprise because it made me wonder what our mother was up to, like if she was alone or just didn't care about the holiday.

Either way though, I didn't mind. It was another few days for me to spend with my twin.

She came right away the Thursday before Easter and left the following Monday morning, figuring she'd get back home. She also mentioned the fact that something could go really wrong if she was away from home for too long, which scared me a little. But I have nothing to worry about – she's a Roberts girl, so she's strong as hell.

With Easter gone, that means it's spring break now and it's only Tuesday. I still have a little less than a week before I go back to school. The weather is actually really nice today, and I feel like doing something productive or at least semi-exciting, but I don't know what.

I'm laying on my bed in my room, bored and home alone. My windows are wide open, letting fresh, warm, spring air into my room, which feels really nice after our long and dreadful winter. I'm sprawled across my comforter, staring at the ceiling with the TV on which is playing some daytime talk show that I'm not even watching.

I groaned and flipped over onto my stomach, and took out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans. Oliver said he was mowing his lawn and then taking a shower, but he promised that he'd come over after he was done. Which should be pretty soon because it's been a couple hours since he told me that.

I scrolled through my recent calls and pressed my thumb on Alex's name, putting it up to my ear after it went through. It rang a few times, then he picked up and his voice chimed into the phone.

"Hello Stuffy," he sang.

"Hi Lexi," I grinned, rolling my eyes at his stupid nickname for me. He says it sounds like "Steffy" but he likes "Stuffy" better because we have such a close, "congested" friendship or something like that. He's a little strange, obviously.

"What's up?"

"Nothing, I'm so bored. Oliver said he was coming over but he's still not here and I wanna do something," I whined to him.

"Well, Alyssa is here. You can come hang out with us if you want," he suggested. I thought for a moment, humming a random tune as my phone suddenly vibrated.

"I think that's him texting me now actually," I chuckled, pulling my phone away and seeing a text from Oliver come across the screen. "Yeah, he's on his way over now. Thanks for the invite though."

"Alright, maybe we can do something later on?" He asked.

"Sure," I nodded. "I'll talk to you later."

"See ya," he signed off, so I hung up. I pushed myself off my bed and moseyed down the stairs, waiting for Oliver's arrival. I opened the door right on cue when he got out of his truck and started walking up to my house.

"Where have you been?" I put my hand on my hip and raised an eyebrow, smirking a bit.

"I'm sorry," he grinned sheepishly as I shut the door behind him. "I got caught up with talking to my dad. He wanted me to eat lunch with him since I was home."

"Aw, that's nice," I admired with a warm smile. I felt my heart swell at the love he has for his father. He doesn't come out right away with it ever, and he often keeps anything even related to his father locked away. But when he does open up like this sometimes, even just a little bit, I feel grateful for it.