Chapter Twenty-Eight - Don't Sound So Happy

Chapter Twenty-Eight - "Don't Sound So Happy"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

I am so grateful.

I'm so grateful at the fact that to understand how love really feels, I went through traumatic heartbreak. I'm lucky that I get to be in love with a guy who I consider my best friend. I'm proud of myself for being so strong.

I know that I never truly loved Travis – I was just sort of "in love with him". Or under his spell. There's really no difference.

But because of him, I know how it feels to be in love. How it feels to actually be loved back.

When I got home later that night, close to 1 o'clock, I was in a completely blissful state of mind. There was nothing that could bring down my high. I had a smile etched on my face, and a numbing feeling all over.

I walked inside my house, but paused and waved to Oliver one last time as he idled at the curb in his truck before I went inside. I shut the door behind me and held onto the handle, sighing happily. I had to hold onto it because I thought if I let go, I'd dissolve into a puddle.

The lights are all out in my house, except for the glow coming from the living room. Then I heard the muffled sound of the TV. I'm guessing my dad is up.

I carefully let go of the door handle and squared my shoulders, taking slow strides to the living room. I saw him sitting on the couch, watching a cooking show and unaware of my presence until I stepped into the room.

He looked over at me, smiled and nodded his head. "Hey."

"Hi," I smiled too. I walked over and joined him on the couch, collapsing back into the plush cushions.

"How was your night?" He asked, still smirking.

Incredible. Amazing. Wonderful.

"It was fun, we just hung out at Oliver's house," I shrugged simply, although I'm beaming on the inside. I'm surprised I can contain my emotions right now. "How about you? What did you do?"

The way he hesitated and how an even bigger smile formed on his face gave me my answer right away.

"Nice," he said. "I uh... Lisa and I went out to eat."

"Mhm, where'd you go?" I pestered him a bit, raising an eyebrow with a smirk.

"That steakhouse over in Windsor," he nodded.

"Wow. Fancy," I nodded too, my eyes widening a bit.

"Yeah, I wanted to take her somewhere a bit nicer than Clancy's Pub. Somewhere with really clean bathrooms," he chuckled, and I laughed too.

"So things are good then? With Lisa?"

"Um... yeah," he said a little uncomfortably.

"Why the pause?" I laughed a little.

He laughed too and shook his head, keeping his eyes on the TV. "I don't know. I just haven't dated in so long that it's weird. I have to get used to it all. But she's not looking for anything too serious, and neither am I, really. We're just gonna see where this goes. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, oh well."

"I'm proud of you for getting out there," I grinned. "And nobody is rushing you to get into a serious relationship or get married or anything. Take your time. Enjoy it."

"When did my daughter become a dating guru?" He looked back at me and smirked.

I smiled too, but more genuinely this time. "Ever since I started dating someone who understands what love really is," I said in a low voice, nodding my head a bit.