Chapter Twenty-One - I Tried To Be Nice Today

Chapter Twenty-One - "I Tried To Be Nice Today"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

Following that date, over the next month was the most rapid change I'd ever seen in a relationship. We hit our exact one month mark, a Friday again, and I couldn't believe that we'd been together officially for that short amount of time. I mean, we've been "together" since late December but now it's finally March and we've already hit a one month milestone.

You're probably thinking, "one month, big friggin' deal". But when it's one month spent entirely with the person that turns your insides to mush, it feels like a big friggin' deal.

So like I said, it's Friday and school is almost over and the only thing I can think about is getting out of this hellhole. But honestly, who doesn't think that?

Alex and I were chattering on together in our eighth period class about nonsense, as always, not paying attention to our teacher whatsoever. It's Chemistry so we really should be paying attention, but when you sit next to your best friend in more than half of your classes, you're expected to get nothing done.

"Stevie. Alex. Gruesome twosome – pay attention," Mr. Mullen caught us from the front of the room, his voice stern.

I snapped my head forward and stifled a laugh, nodding my head. Of course, when Alex and I are talking about something hilarious, we get yelled at.

Mr. Mullen narrowed his eyes and spun around to continue writing on the board. I sighed and shook my head, laughing a little as I copied the notes down.

"Why does he always catch us?" Alex whispered.

"Because he knows we're best friends and we never get any work done," I chuckled, glancing over at him.

He nodded with a grin and leaned back in his seat, fiddling with his pencil between his two fingers. "So, Tony said that Kevin is having a party tonight. A lot of people are supposed to be going," he got closer to me and lowered his voice.

"So does that mean we're going?" I asked.

"I mean, sure," he shrugged. "But if a lot of people are supposedly going, you know who's going to be there."

"Yeah I know," I sneered with an eye roll. "But I wanna go out anyway. If he's there, I'll just ignore him."

"Kinda hard to do when he doesn't ever leave you alone," he huffed under his breath.

"Then I'll pour my drink down his pants," I smirked. He covered his mouth to hold back a laugh, and Mr. Mullen spun around to glare at us. I kept my eyes on my notebook, hoping he'd just turn back around, which he did.

Alex and I both rolled our eyes, then kept our mouths shut for the rest of the period to please our boring teacher. And after a half an hour, we were free for the weekend and shuffling out of the classroom.

"I'll meet you outside," Alex patted my shoulder.

"Okay," I nodded with a smile. He parted ways with me as I went to my locker, popping it open and switching out whatever I would need for the weekend. I slipped on my coat, gathered my things and headed for the front door.

I was almost outside when a sudden chill came over my body.

Wait, no.

It's just the hand of the Ice Queen.

My body got spun around and before I could blink, Laura was standing in front of me. Her face is unreadable; different. It's like she's actually thinking hard, for once.