27

Cigarettes out the Window ~ TV Girl

New York
29 years earlier

The loud sound of sirens, cars and people filled the busy streets of New York. In a small and dark alley, though, something unusual happened. A green portal opened from the ground and a woman came out of it landing harshly on the ground.

The woman groaned as she slowly stood up. She used the nearest wall to steady herself and she looked around. She furrowed her brows as she did so. This wasn't her world.

She slowly walked out of the alley and into the street. She looked all around her, tall buildings and cars surrounding her. She suddenly heard a loud honking sound coming towards her and she quickly got out of the way as a car drove where she once stood.

She walked to the sidewalk, watching the people passing her. They were looking at her like she was crazy. The poor brunette woman was confused and alone and was wearing what looked like medieval clothes.

She suddenly realised that something was around her wrist so she brought it up and saw a watch. It didn't work, though, and she furrowed her brows looking at it.

Evelyn had no idea of where she was or what she was going to do now.

✰✰✰✰

New York
9 years later

It had been nine years since Evelyn had arrived in the real world, in New York. It took her a while to understand how this world worked. She had almost gotten arrested many times for trying to use her sword against people who pissed her off or for taking a horse from a cop to go around the city.

She had to be there for a while until she finally got kind of used to that world. She started wearing what there were considered normal clothes and she had found a job as a waitress in a small cafe. With that money she had managed to get a small crappy apartment, but it was all she needed after she had finally found a way to make everyone believe she was a normal citizen.

She had even found someone to make her some fake documents, so now to everyone's eyes she was a normal American citizen and not Prince Charming's sister and Captain Hook's girlfriend. She had made her name to Dahlia Jones, so that in a way she would always be connected to her love.

She also had figured out what that watch which had appeared on her wrists when she got there was actually for. She didn't really mind it at first. She was kind of scared of what it could be for, but she had also realised that magic didn't work there so she should have been safe. She kept it on her nightstand, not really feeling like it was a good idea to simply throw it away.

Until with the passing years she realised that she wasn't aging, not one bit. That's when she figured out that the watch was keeping her from aging. She didn't know how it appeared, but she had simply guessed that Rumpelstiltskin had made it appear with his magic before she could go inside the portal.

It was an early and sunny morning when Evelyn walked through the streets of New York to get to work. As she walked, though, she suddenly heard some yelling coming from a bakery. She slowly walked to it and saw a man, who was the owner of the bakery, pushing harshly a boy who was giving her his back away from his shop.

The boy was trying to take a piece of bread, but didn't have the money to take it so he had stolen it. But the bakery owner had seen him and was trying to call the cops to get him arrested.

Evelyn walked faster to them and her breath got caught in her throat as she saw who the boy was.

"Baelfire", she muttered to herself in disbelief and without thinking twice about it she reached them and took the boy from the man's grip.

"Hey! He stole my bread!", the bakery owner shouted angrily.

"I'm so sorry, sir. My son just can't keep his hands for himself", she told him apologetically before turning to Baelfire who was looking at her with a shocked expression. "I've been searching for you the whole morning! I told you to stay by my side", she fake scolded him and he furrowed his brows at her.

Evelyn sighed and kept up her act as she looked back at the bakery owner.

"Please don't call the cops, he lost his father and I barely have the money to pay the rent. This would break us", she told him with a pleading look. The bakery owner looked at her then moved his gaze to the boy until finally with a groan he spoke up.

"Fine, but if it happens again I'll get him arrested", he warned reluctantly.

"Sure, thank you, sir", she told him with a fake thankful smile. Then she nodded at the man one last time before taking Baelfire's hand and beginning to walk through the street.

After a short while of silence Baelfire finally spoke up.

"What are you doing here?", he asked her confused.

"Fell through a portal", she simply replied as they walked, surprised that he still hadn't removed his hand from hers.

"Why did you save me?", he then asked her.

"Well, I couldn't let you get arrested, right? And you look like you could use some help", she told him with a small smile and he stopped.

"Thank you", he told her truthfully.

"It's the least I could do after what happened in Neverland", she told him with a sad smile and he nodded slowly. The she cleared her throat and spoke up again. "Come on, let's go home."