Prologue

A/N: This chapter is purely OPTIONAL to read. I mean that as a warning, because nothing happens in it. Nothing. There's no action and barely any dialogue...okay, scratch that, there's no dialogue. Kota is mostly just setting the scene for where we're beginning. :) I was originally going to make a little list something like this:

-Volto doesn't exist in my story.

-This story begins in April.

-They're all married and have 18 babies.

-The sky is blue.

But then I thought "that's lame." Hence this prologue. Don't wanna bother with it? Head on over to chapter one, and you'll catch on eventually.

Prologue

Kota's POV

It had been a long week.

I'd spent two full nights on stakeouts, one evening invading a school principal's office, and one night meeting with Mr. B to discuss our plans going forward.

If the lack of sleep wasn't exhausting enough, most of my waking hours were spent trying to contain an incredibly enthusiastic little blonde girl who could outshine the sun on her worst day.

Hendricks was caught and put away on Tuesday for his insurance scam. It'd taken a few months, but we'd finally found proof that he had an inside man at the insurance company that was assisting both him and the football coach. They'd inflated the football roster, told the school board there were 120 players on the team so they'd write a big check, then the accountant at the insurance company would only account for 80 players and siphon the rest of the check.

It wasn't even that much money being scammed, because student athletic insurance isn't expensive, so Hendricks was also getting his hands on the athletic supplies.

I'm no sadist, but it felt good to watch the desperation on his face as he was manhandled into the cop car.

Another achievement was McCoy being taken care of outside the law. We couldn't risk Sang's identity getting out if charges were pressed against him, so the Academy stepped in. McCoy would do whatever possible to get back at us, so we had to pay up ten favors to get him taken care of. It was a good thing my team had just finished this job, or we wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Sang had taken all of these events exceedingly well and has spent the majority of her time bouncing around in excitement or getting into trouble with Luke and Gabe. Apparently, completing this mission for Luke meant that it was time for a prank-fest. The only problem was that he recruited Sang to be his partner-in-crime this time. In the past, we could yell or hit him for his annoying antics, but with Sang we had to pretend to be entertained by his diabolical torture.

They had put blue Koolaid in my showerhead on Wednesday, which I was still a little miffed about. Luke added something to the mixture which made it completely impossible for me to wash out, even after fifteen showers. Gabriel had to scrub some baking soda concoction into it first, which he conveniently couldn't get a hold of until yesterday. If Sang hadn't started giggling with happiness the moment she saw my new appearance, I would've given them both an hour.

I guess it didn't hurt that she also said blue looked good on me before attacking me with her lips in one of the most passionate kisses we've shared yet, either.

Mr. Blackbourne surprised us all when he told Sang we could do anything she wanted to celebrate the mission being completed. Anything. It wasn't like Mr. Blackbourne to leave options open like that. Heck, she could've chosen to paint his toenails or get a puppy.