Wake Up Call

A/N: Pssst - have you guys heard of Update Day yet? The best day of the year! It'll be on May 15th, 2016. Birds will be updating their fanfics and originals...aiming for at least 10k words per author!

I may or may not be hoarding updates until then, but wanted to post a little chapter so I could tell everyone to look forward to Update Day. I know a lot of you frown upon hoarding, but I already don't update often so it shouldn't feel any different.

Chapter Seven: Wake Up Call

Monday morning arrived quicker than I thought possible. I awoke to fingers gliding down my side, tapping gracefully against each individual rib as my nose inhaled the intoxicating scent of berries and moss.

"Who will take Silas and Gabriel to school?" I mumbled sleepily against the pillow my face was smushed against, scooting around on the bed to blink blearily at my cuddle-buddy.

"Good morning to you, too, Princess," Victor whispered with no small trace of amusement, his flaming eyes threatening to melt my insides as he grinned at me.

"Good morning, Victor," I murmured back before glancing over my shoulder and frowning at the rumpled sheets. It wasn't long before I turned back to Victor, his tousled bedhead and sleepy eyes too enticing to ignore. "Where's Nathan?"

"He went for a run," Victor answered with a kiss to my forward, his lips moving leisurely against my skin when he failed to pull back. "Mr. Blackbourne's going to pick up Silas and Gabe today. I had to do something in the area last night, so I was able to use that as an excuse to sleep here."

"A mission?" I asked excitedly, perking up slightly. Victor's hand slowly traveled up from the small of my back to cup my neck, my body shaking slightly at the sensations.

"A job," Victor's lips confirmed as they whispered across my forehead.

"A dangerous job?" I pressed, pulling back slightly to give him a peck on the chin.

Victor hummed noncommittally while his fingers massaged my neck. I looked up into his eyes, convinced that it'd be possible to drown in them.

"Did it have to do with Ashley Waters?" I tried again, hoping to get a little information.

"Sang," Victor warned, shaking his head with a sigh.

"It must've been late, since I didn't notice you come in," I pointed out, looking at him expectantly.

"Yes. It was late," Victor answered with twitching lips, but not giving me any more.

"I don't understand," a frown tugged at my lips, that feeling of not belonging starting to trickle into my stomach. "Aren't I joining the Academy soon? Shouldn't I be able to know a little more now?"

"Sang, I can't," Victor's winced, his tone turning tortured. "I'm sorry, but I honestly can't say anything about it or about you joining."

"Does that mean I might not be joining?" I asked in growing alarm. "But, but the plan—"

"Princess, that's not what I'm saying." Victor ducked down, his soft lips cutting me off. "It's on the agenda for our family meeting on Wednesday. Can you please wait until then? I don't want to say anything I'm not supposed to."

Three whole days for me to freak out?

"Okay," I acquiesced, trying to fight off the frown.

Victor had been particularly busy lately. Kota mentioned that he used to visit the Lee house more often, but hadn't had the chance to lately. That caused a flicker of guilt in my stomach.

"Are you sure you didn't want to stay with Kota last night instead?" I asked unsurely.

"Princess," Victor breathed a laugh, giving me a disbelieving look before tugging me closer to him in the cloud-like bed. "Of course not...I wanted to spend time with you."