Splish Splash

Chapter Four: Splish Splash

It was far too late to be embarrassed about the way I was shoveling chocolatey pancake goodness into my mouth. It was all I could do to bite back a moan of delight at the flavors. I could eat this for breakfast every single day and never get tired of it.

Never.

"Slow down, sweetie. The pancakes aren't going anywhere," Kota chuckled quietly from his seat next to me.

"But it's so good," I exclaimed after swallowing a large, fluffy bite. "The flavors just explode in my mouth!"

"No matter how good it tastes, I still don't want you to choke," Kota shook his head with a smile before patiently taking a teensy, tiny bite of his own pancake and chewed slowly. My bite was four times the size of his.

"So what are the plans for today, Peanut?" Nathan asked before taking a few gulps of his orange juice. My fork froze halfway to my mouth as I looked towards him. The boys rarely asked me what the plan was; I usually just go with whatever they're doing. Was I supposed to pick things for us to do today?

My mind was drawing a blank.

"Good going, Nate. You broke her," I heard Kota admonish before his hand landed gently on my shoulder. "Breathe, Sang. Wipe that worried look off your face, sweetie. I already have a few things planned for today."

"Oh," I placed a hand over my racing heart, internally scolding myself for getting worked up over something so simple. I brought my fork back down to the plate and took a sip of my frappucino.

"I'm sorry, Peanut," Nathan apologized with a slight wince, but I waved him off.

"It's not your fault. I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to have something ready," I explained before turning to Kota. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well, I'm going over to Mr. Blackbourne's soon to discuss some things before our family meeting this week," Kota explained, setting down the fork and leaning back in his chair. "North had an early shift at the Diner, so he was going to stop by after. Silas might be with him, but Luke has the afternoon shift so you won't see him."

"What do you have to go over for the family meeting?" I asked curiously, picking a piece of chocolate chip out of my pancake and popping it into my mouth.

"Just, uh, stuff," Kota deflected, bringing a finger up to adjust his glasses. I pulled a face but shrugged it off. I'd find out soon enough anyways. Trust.

"You'll come back over here after you're finished, then?" I guessed, taking another bite of pancake.

"I should be back after dinner," Kota answered, standing up and gathering his dishes. He headed to the sink as Nathan caught my eye and made a funny face. I stuck my tongue out back at him. "Not for long, though, since we have school tomorrow."

"Can't we just skip?" I asked hopefully, flicking a mushed chocolate chip around on my plate. "We'll be gone in one week, anyways. What's the point?"

"We don't want anyone, especially the authorities, asking questions about your transfer," Kota answered as he walked back over to the table. "Besides, it won't be that bad."

"You won't have to worry about Hendricks or McCoy anymore," Nathan added helpfully.

"I guess," I sighed, thinking back to the Biology homework I still hadn't done. Kota didn't need to know about that, though.

"I have to go, but be good for Nathan," Kota said, coming over and placing a kiss on my head.

"Be good?" I echoed, scrunching my nose. "Why aren't you telling Nathan to be good for me?"