The Precipice

A/N: I really struggled with this one. You know when you have so much planned out for your story, but then the characters take things into their own hands and throw a wrench into your plans? Aghhh, I had the next few chapters planned out, but Sang and Silas decided to make everything explode last chapter.

I'm a little bit mad at them.

But I'm finally done putting off this chapter, so I decided to just rip it off like a band-aid.

The Precipice

Nathan's POV

I didn't get it.

Sang's name continued to flash across my screen, but all I heard was continuous ringing until her voicemail.

Why wasn't she answering?

My feet restlessly paced the carpet beside the sliding doors, willing myself not to look at Silas again because the urge to strangle him was growing stronger by the minute.

"Should we call Mr. B?" Luke's nervous voice broke the last two minutes of silence.

"Not yet. We can handle this, then fill him in later," Kota answered calmly from the couch, but he didn't fool me. Calm was the last thing Kota was, if the white knuckle grip on his phone was anything to go by. Was he trying to call Sang, too?

"But it's kind of a big deal—"

"Silas and Sang had an argument," Kota cut him off sharply. "It happens. We're not going to run to Mr. Blackbourne every time an issue happens in this relationship. That's not healthy."

"And Sang holing herself up and not responding to any of us is healthy?" I snorted, turning to face the backyard.

"We can handle this. I can handle this," Kota assured me, doing his best to sound confident. I wasn't buying it. I was the only one to notice the way his fingers shook as he adjusted his glasses for the thirtieth time tonight. "Maybe she just wants some alone time."

Luke's sigh was dramatic, one worthy of an Oscar, as he sunk down next to Kota on the couch. I spared another glance at my unanswered phone, before tossing it on the other couch next to a stoic Silas.

"She was crying when she ran past me in the diner," Luke shared quietly, shoulders slumped as my fingers starting to itch.

"Silas, can you please tell us what happened in there?" I asked for the tenth time, feeling the carpet burn through my sock as I spun around to face him. But he just continued to sit there, silently, staring at his clasped hands. I turned to Luke. "How far out is North?"

"He should be here any minute," Luke answered quickly, checking his own phone. "He was at home when I called."

Frowning, I turned back to the sliding doors. The forest called to me, and I would've expected Sang to run there first if she wanted a place to think or get away. I would've found her up in a tree, just like the day we'd met.

But Sang wasn't up in a tree—the cameras confirmed that—and a lot had happened since the day I'd told her to jump. To trust me.

Did she still trust me?

What the hell had happened between her and Silas?

The roar of a motorcycle engine sounded from the street, and three of our heads turned towards the commotion. Silas didn't budge.

"Maybe this was a bad idea," Luke offered doubtfully, as the engine died. "North probably isn't the best one to handle—"

"We need him to get Silas to talk," Kota cut in again, causing Luke to huff. "Sang told Luke not to follow her, and I don't want to make things worse by visiting her until we've heard Silas's side of the story."