The Healing Power of Hugs

A/N: Love's Cruel Redemption came out today; Happy Release Day!!

Chapter Eleven: The Healing Power of Hugs

Later that day, 3:46 PM:

North: Please talk to Silas.

Sang: I don't know what to say... 😟

North: Then just listen to him. He's killing himself over this.

Sang: Can you tell him to come over?

North: He'll be there in ten.

5 Minutes Later:

North: Do you still like me?

Sang: ☑️ Yes. Do you still like me?

North: To the moon and back, Baby. ❤️

Sitting on the lonesome couch in my living room while waiting for Silas was a unique kind of torture

Sitting on the lonesome couch in my living room while waiting for Silas was a unique kind of torture. My hands were too shaky to play Angry Birds, and I just kept picturing his devastated face when I'd walked out yesterday.

Was it really just yesterday? It felt like years ago.

I wished Kota were here. He would know what to do. I fiddled with my phone, debating texting Mr. Blackbourne. He could fix this. They'd know what I needed to say.

That felt wrong, though. Kota and Mr. Blackbourne weren't dating Silas. It wasn't fair to rely on them to clean up my mess when it came to fights with the other boys.

North had butted in—as was his nature—but it felt different since Silas was his best friend and he knew how to help both of us.

I wasn't sure what to think of that. I didn't want North babysitting my relationship with Silas, but I didn't know how long it would've taken me to reach out to Silas if it hadn't been for him.

There was a tentative knock on the door sooner than I'd expected, and it echoed the pang in my heart. The boys never knocked.

Either Silas was feeling too uncomfortable to just walk in, or....

I clutched at the phone through my cami top, wondering who else could be at the door. Tip-toeing across the hardwood floor until I could risk a peek through the window next to the front door, I slipped the phone out and hovered a finger over the boys' apps. My fingers shook, pulling the curtain back an inch.

Silas's deep brown eyes met mine.

A sigh of relief escaped, and I unlocked the door before tugging it open.

From feet away, Silas still managed to tower over me.

I fidgeted in place, waiting for Silas to say something. But he just continued to stand there, staring at me.

It was unnerving.

"Hi," I offered, trying to break the silence—but the word was spoken so softly no actual sound escaped.