7

Time passed, and Amari continued her life in the forest, tending to her herb garden and practicing her magic with Astrid. The memory of Ivy's kiss lingered in her mind, but she had no choice but to push it aside as she focused on the tasks at hand.

As her 18th birthday approached, her mothers and Edward started to plan a surprise celebration.

On the morning of her birthday, Amari woke to the smell of fresh-baked bread and the sound of birdsong outside her window. She stretched lazily, a smile tugging at her lips.

"Happy birthday, dear!" Astrid exclaimed as Amari entered the kitchen. Gabriella stood beside her, a stack of pancakes on the table and a mischievous grin on her face.

"Thanks, moms," Amari said, her cheeks flushing with warmth.

"What's all this about?"

The mothers shared a knowing glance, then burst into laughter.

"Well," Gabriella said, her eyes twinkling with mirth, "we thought you might be in need of a little extra nourishment today."

Amari rolled her eyes playfully.

"What, you mean I'm finally grown up now?"

Astrid laughed. "Oh, you're always going to be our little fox." She reached out and ruffled Amari's hair. "But yes, you're officially an adult now."

Throughout the day, Amari was greeted with enthusiastic well-wishes from the townsfolk. As she closed up the shop at the end of the day, she couldn't help but feel a swell of gratitude for her life in this forest town.

The sun was setting as she walked home, casting a golden glow over the path. She could hear the faint call of birds returning to their nests, and the breeze carried the scent of springtime flowers.

She arrived at her cottage to find Edward waiting for her. He held a bundle of packages wrapped in simple, handwoven fabric.

"Happy birthday, Amari," Edward said, handing her the packages. "Consider these a token of our friendship."

Amari smiled and took the gifts, unwrapping them eagerly. Inside, she found different kinds of clothing and a finely-crafted dagger, its hilt gleaming in the setting sun.

"Edward...," she said, her voice soft with gratitude. "Where did you get this?"

"My father gave it to me when I was about your age," he replied. "It's a bit old, but it's sturdy and well-balanced."

Amari held the dagger in her hands, feeling its weight. She looked up at Edward, her eyes shining with emotion.

"Thank you, Edward. This means so much to me. I...I don't know what to say."

Edward smiled, his expression one of quiet contentment. "You don't have to say anything, Amari. I just want you to know that you're part of this town now. We all care about you."

Amari's heart swelled, and she impulsively threw her arms around Edward in a tight embrace.

"Thank you," Amari whispered into Edward's shoulder, feeling the strength of his arms around her. "

"I don't know what I would do without you all."

Edward held her for a moment longer, then gently pulled away.

"Now, go enjoy your birthday dinner with your mothers. And try not to think too hard about anything else. For one day, just enjoy yourself."

Amari nodded, feeling a sense of peace and gratitude wash over her. She picked up her packages and headed inside the cottage.