12

Amari limped down the hallway, her footsteps echoing in the now-empty corridor. Most of her classes had ended, and some students had already dispersed, leaving Amari alone with her thoughts.

Her side still ached from the competition that took place almost a week ago, a reminder of the brutal day.

As Amari made her way to the bathroom, her mind kept straying back to Ivy. The girl's strange behavior weighed on her like a heavy stone. She'd done her best to push it aside, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

Pushing open the bathroom door, she was surprised to see Ivy standing in front of the sink. Their eyes met in the mirror, and Amari's heart gave a little lurch.

"Oh. Hey," Amari said, trying to sound casual.

Ivy's face hardened. She didn't respond, simply turning back to the mirror and adjusting her hair. Amari stood there, uncertain, the silence stretching thin.

"Ivy, can we talk for a minute?" Amari asked, swallowing hard. "There's something I need to say."

Ivy sighed, replacing the lip balm and turning to face Amari fully. "What do you want, Amari? Can't we just leave each other alone?"

Amari felt a pang in her chest. "Ivy, what's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" Ivy repeated, a bitter edge to her voice. "Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that you hid the truth about yourself from me?"

Amari's eyes widened. "Wait, you mean...?"

"Yes, I mean it. You're a witch, Amari. A mage. And you didn't even think to tell me?"

Amari took a step back, her mind racing. "I-I'm sorry. It's not something I'm comfortable talking about with..people."

Ivy shook her head, her jaw set tight. "It's not just people. It's me. I thought we were friends, Amari. I thought I could trust you."

Amari felt her heart sink.

"You can trust me, Ivy. I wouldn't lie to you."

"Really? Because it sure feels like you've been lying by omission." Ivy's voice was rising, her cheeks flushed with anger.

Amari felt her own anger beginning to stir. "Why are you so angry about this?"

Ivy took a step towards Amari, her eyes flashing and her tone sharpened. "You act like being a witch is no big deal, like it's some kind of party trick. You don't even see the damage magic can do." Ivy's words carried a weight that seemed to go beyond just Amari's secret.

"My life has been shaped by magic. By witches. My mother—she was cursed by a witch. A witch who ruined her life, our family's life. And you act like your magic is nothing?"

"I don't act like it's nothing! It's just...I'm not good at it," Amari protested. "I can't even do anything with my abilities!"

"You're not good at it?" Ivy said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Poor you."

Amari's temper flared.

The truth of Ivy's words struck Amari like a physical blow. She'd had no idea that Ivy's mother had been cursed. All she knew was that the woman was sick, that's what Ivy had said back at her cottage. She felt her anger deflate, leaving only a sense of guilt and confusion.

"Ivy...I'm so sorry about your mother. I had no idea," Amari said, her voice quiet. "But I'm not like that witch. I would never do something like that."

"No, maybe you wouldn't," Ivy said, her shoulders sagging a bit. "But you still have that power. Power to hurt people, to change things."