10. Staying together

🎶Tu jo mila toh yun hua
Ho gayi poori adhoori si duaa
Tu jo gaya, toh le gaya sang tere
Mere jeene ki har wajah
Ho jaaye jahaan tu jaaye
Paaye mujhe hi paaye
Saaye ye mere hain tujh mein samaaye🎶

SHREYA

As we entered the mansion, we found the cleaning staff scattered everywhere, tossing useless things into bins with swift motions. Old magazines, broken ornaments, and dusty trinkets flew into the trash as the crew worked efficiently to declutter the space.

The house doesn't look at all like it did last night. Uncle's cleaning staff is awesome. They completely transformed the house. We all quietly came back from Ranbeer's house to Kabeer's.

A grand mansion with a vast dining table as its centerpiece, flanked by plush sofas and a loveseat. Two staircases gracefully lead upstairs, while numerous doors on either side open into various rooms.

No one said anything to anyone. It is becoming our thing. The silence, that is. But I am happy that Ranbeer decided to come with us because it is much better to live here than with those people.

Those people think that we are frauds. Half the world believed we died that day on the cliff. Of course, people will doubt us. Neither do they trust us nor do we. Trusting people has become so much harder after their deaths. I am as paranoid as Kabeer, if not more.

As we proceeded towards the entrance, suddenly the boys stiffened. I halted my steps and scanned our surroundings, curious about the cause. It didn't take long to spot it - two staff members were slowly making their way towards us, each bearing the weight of a large portrait. The problem? They were carrying the portrait. Yesterday, it took so much time to make Kabeer understand that not everyone is our enemy.

The portrait of our parents. Again, his looks convey his wrath. I wouldn't wish his wrath on my enemy, let alone these poor people. And neither do I want to see him spiraling downward. He was not himself during that time. I don't want to lose him again to his mind. It is difficult to bring him back from his demons.

I took his hands in mine and grabbed his jaw, making him look at me. "Not. Everyone. Is. Your. Enemy." I whispered harshly. I didn't mean to, but explaining things to the great Kabeer Kapoor isn't easy either. "We will make a new portrait and keep it, okay?"

"No. This is the last thing that was safe that day."

"Okay. Let me ask them to set it in the main hall. No need to get violent. Okay? Go show the boys their rooms. Is it okay with you?" He nodded. He took the boys and started leaving. Ranbeer looked back at me over his shoulder, concern evident in his eyes. I gave him an assuring nod.

In moments like this, I often find myself pondering the reasons behind our drifting apart. How did it happen? We have such a strong connection, communicating effortlessly with just a glance. But now, the intimacy feels like a distant memory. I wonder what led to our downfall.

As I made my way towards the staff, the urge to break their hand and never let someone even look at the portrait with less than perfection in their eyes grows stronger and stronger.

A surge of familiar anger bubbled up within me, and violent thoughts clawed at the edges of my mind, threatening to consume my sanity.