Chapter 29-Act Like Prey

When Alec arrived at the entrance of the Stardust Forest, Knox took notice of the small frown on his face. Ever since he met him, he knew that Alec preferred a neutral expression and an occasional glare that sent people running. As of that moment, he did not even need to glare to send someone away. The cold and sharp air around him gave one the impression that they would be torn apart if they so much as come near.

All around him the other students also stared at the young man. From Knox's right Areisha frowned, while to his left, Rei gave an excited but hesitant smile. Murmurs started to fill the air, and Knox did not need his twin's sentiral power to know that they were discussing Alec's ability. It had been the topic of every table in the cafeteria during lunch, and would still be talked about unless a scandal from Serene City reached their ears.

But judging from what he heard transpired at the teachers' lounge in the morning, topics about Alec would not be dying anytime soon.

Not long after, Gael finally arrived with his signature sunny smile eclipsing Alec's mood. To Knox, who grew up with him, it looked more monstrous than sunny. He started wondering if Solana made the correct decision to abandon this combat class in favor of a cooking class. As first years, they were allowed to try out different classes to give them the option of picking out a course they truly wanted to pursue starting from the second year. Since his interest lay more on combat and draes, as a result, most of his courses fell under the two.

The only drawback was that every first year, those who had taken and will take combat classes would eventually fall under the Darklord.

Gael Fenrin.

The monster instructor smiled and laughed in the face of his students' misery. Stood unaffected even when students screamed and shouted profanities at his face. As the head of the academy's combat department, he made it his duty to weed out people who were not suited for the field.

"Combat deals with life and death. It's no place for people who have weak wills and have nothing important to protect," Gael told him once years ago. Knox was pulled out his musings when the clearing grew quiet at Gael's arrival.

"Welcome, warriors to Fundamentals of Group Combat! "I am Gael Fenrin, and this is my assistant, Alec Arden," his voice boomed. "Last semester you took up Basic Combat with Professor Gravis. Seeing as you are here, you must be interested in officially taking a combat-related course for your second year." Gael grinned at them.

"Too bad that you met me though," he said, grin morphing into a smirk. "I'm sure that you've heard. In my class, only those who truly want to stick to this field will remain."

There was a chorus of gulps and nervous laughter from his classmates, before settling into a tense silence when Gael continued speaking. "Don't worry though. Since it's only the first day, let's take it easy."

He heard sighs of relief in the air, but Knox sighed in despair. Next to him, Areisha and Rei did the same. Today was going to be one Blazen of a day. He suddenly wanted to join Solana in her cooking class.

"Let's play Ryders and Fugitives! In this instance though, there will only be one Fugitive and you guys will be the Ryders," Gael said. Reaching into his jacket, he pulled out a stack of small papers and raised it up in the air in a dramatic fashion. "In here is public information about your Fugitive and his fake crimes."

The papers were passed around, and they reached Knox, Areisha, and Rei. The moment they received their copies, their brows rose when they saw the name of their target.

Wanted!

Alec Arden: Tiny Hunter (past), Blazenspawn (past), The Slayer (current)

Crime: Wildlife Trafficking, Poaching, Deforestation...