Chapter Five

Thinking

"Signing"

Bronte's POV:

Finding out that Alden had disobeyed our order to not go looking for the child was not an enjoyable time. And come this morning we found out they not only found the girl but also that she has a twin. I have never had a problem with twins or whatever. I just don't like being wrong. I honestly thought that the DNA they found was a lie. But it wasn't.

Emery thought it would be a good idea to have not only me, but also Oralie and Kenric to come with me. They don't even take anything seriously! They just stare at each other and try to hide the fact they love each other.

After what feels like forever, Alden and his 'Golden Boy' come in with a young girl with blond hair. Brown eyes? I've never seen that before. I'm curious to see what she can do. I look around not seeing the other girl. They must have thought it better to do this one at a time. The girl looks at us and then just looks at me with curiosity. What is she staring at? "What." I finally ask, getting pissed off. I have things to do after this. I don't have time for all their playing.

"Sorry I was surprised by your ears." She finally said looking down. "My ears?" I asked very confused. What is wrong with my ears? We all have ears. After what feels like forever with them laughing and me falling. Which I was not happy about. Both Kenric and Oralie give her the go ahead with only me saying no.

After a few moments where they explain some things to the girl who's name we now know as Sophie. I ask the question that has been on my mind since the moment they walked in. "I thought you said there were two of them? Where is the other girl?"

They all share a look of pain and worry. Weird. "About that we were going to have Elwin come and then bring her in, but he can't get away from the school yet. I can still go and grab her now and you can meet her. Just know that she will need Elwin as soon as possible." Alden said with worry evident in his voice. "That is why we are here. Is it not?" I asked, getting more and more angry as the time went by.

Alden then walked out and came back a few minutes later with the other girl. At first I was confused on why she needed Elwin but then I looked more closely at her and saw that she was a bit transparent. What happened!? Why is she faded!? I have half the mind to hall Elwin myself and tell him to get over here! Her brown hair is shiny but a bit see thru but it's nothing compared to her eyes. They look like they are supposed to be blue and green but they are so pale.

Oralie looks like she's going to cry and Kenric looks really pale as well. She then did something that I thought I would never see again now that we don't commune with the humans. She started signing.

"Hello! Sorry if I look weird, I apparently faded when we got here. I forgot to concentrate on Sophie's hand. So no one but myself is to blame." The fact that she was not only apologizing for fading but making sure that no one got in trouble for something she did was fascinating. Her sister was translating for everyone but they didn't know that I didn't need it.

"You are fine child. It happens. Just make sure that you focus next time. What is your name?" I signed back. She looked really happy that I knew sign. "My name is Akari Foster! And I'm the younger twin to Sophie! How is it you know sign? No one else but Soph does." She looked really sad at that last statement. "I've had several friends that were deaf and or mute before. And it's really nice to meet you Akari. My name is Bronte, I'm one of the counselors that are here to help decide if you should go to Foxfire or not." I responded still in sign. Everyone else was just looking at me with wonder and confusion, all but the other girl. She looked really happy that I knew what I was doing.

After a bit I had come to the conclusion that she should be able to go to Foxfire. During this time Sophie had been translating our conversation so everyone else could hear what she was "saying". Kenric looked very hesitant the more she talked. And Oralie just looked like she always did, calm and collected. "I vote in favor." I said, making many look at me with surprise. Both girls looked really happy about that. And I can't blame them. They were raised in the forbidden cities and only really have each other to lean on and understand the big change this will bring them. Especially seeing as they won't be able to go back.

"I don't mean this in a rude way at all, but I vote against." Kenric said looking sad but also confused. I can't believe he would say no! He's usually the one always saying that we shouldn't send anymore to Exillium. We all looked at Oralie, seeing her with a pained expression. I know that look. "I'm sorry but I have to say no as well. I'm really sorry girls." Oralie said. The atmosphere was tense after she said that. "It's ok! I understand. I can still find great opportunities and still make great friends wherever I go." She looked sad as she said this.

"Well that settles that. I think it's about time I take the girls to get their files." Alden said, looking just as upset at the girls. "I think it does. Don't forget to have Elwin look at Akari soon." I say standing up.

And with that I walk out feeling very upset that the girls are being separated. I just hope that they can keep their bond. I might not like Sophie but that doesn't mean I'm going to wish her the worst.