A New Dawn

❝How is it that a twelve year old girl outsmarts all of you, dimwits?❞

How is it that a twelve year old girl outsmarts all of you, dimwits?

── •✧• ──

Two shots echoed throughout the room, and warm, thick blood splattered over Vienna's face. She flinched.

The young boys blank stare would forever haunt her, his expression fading to one of hopelessness when he realised what would happen. His blank stare with a bullet embedded in the middle of his forehead would be burnt into Vienna's mind forever. Would she ever get a peaceful sleep after this? Definitely not. She'd be plagued by nightmares until the end of her days.

She watched in silence as his body was carried away by the guards. An emptiness settled within her, and she couldn't find herself to bring herself to feel anything. The Instructor had told her that this would all make sense when the time came, but right now? She felt disgusted with herself. She had chosen her own survival and that made her selfish. How should a selfish warrior battle next to other warriors in an army? She would end up saving her own skin again and who knows what consequences that could lead to.

She didn't move when The Instructor started barking her next orders. "Move along, Bennet. It's time for battle strategy training."

A deep sigh left her mouth and she brought her hand up to her face, wiping at the droplets of blood. Her hand came back down stained red, and Vienna wondered if it would remain that way forever. Was this what her destiny was? To rot in this bunker until she no longer recognised herself? Until she became closed off and heartless like The Instructor? She now understood why no one in the cantine areas ever smiled. This was a never ending horror show.

Her mind never stopped during battle strategy training. It didn't stop when she returned back to her bunk, or when she attempted to sleep her problems away. Clara came in not long after her, sighing and then flopping down onto her own bed.

"Long day?" She asked, noticing Vienna's composure.

Vienna nodded, keeping her eyes locked onto the spot of dirt on the ceiling.

"How's your chest?"

"It's working, I guess."

Clara scoffed and stood up from her bed, moving to sit on the edge of Vienna's. "You almost died from scarring your windpipe. That's gonna take some time to heal and you're acting as if nothing happened."

"What am I supposed to do?" Vienna asked incredulously. "Let The Instructor know that I accidentally breathed in acid gas? Oh yeah, then she'd ask me why I was in the vents, and then she'd probably kill me. What a nice way to die!"