~Chapter 14~

Weeks passed without a change in... anything, really. The warm air stayed stuffy and uncomfortable, Knuckles had still been acting strangely, and I was still sitting in my bush. I would watch the clouds above with little interest, my eyes staying wide awake and my body completely restless.

Then, I suddenly had an idea.

I should just head into the house today. They're all home, so why not pay them all a visit...

I emerged from my area and headed to the house, walking right inside and closing the door behind me. But, today there was a different atmosphere in the house; it seemed tense, almost worrisome.

Suddenly, Sonic turned around a corner and spotted me, his eyes immediately lighting up.

"Y/n, thank heavens you're here!" He exclaimed, rushing up to me, "We need your help with something..."

I tilted my head in interest, watching Sonic carefully.

"What is it? Has something happened here?"

"It's Knuckles. He said he was going to the forest for a 'meditation journey', but he left a week ago and hasn't come back yet."

My eyes widened. He'd just left, going out to the forest for meditation. I couldn't help but feel like it was partially my own fault, and so I felt as if it was my responsibility to look for him.

"I'll try and find him, Sonic, I'll see if I can bring him back."

"Thank you, Y/n. Oh, and good luck. If he's going out to meditate, it could mean he's a bit agitated, so be warned."

With that, Sonic turned back around and walked away.

I immediately left the house, using my speed to rush right into the centre of the woods. It was a lot cooler and calmer there, the simple whistle of birds heard just above the sound of rushing wind as I picked up my pace. All of a sudden, I heard a faint whistling sound coming from a distance. I ran slowly towards the source, and to my surprise, I found Knuckles.

He was sitting on top of a large rock formation, whistling a sweet tune whilst keeping his eyes closed and his body blissfully calm. It seemed he was completely unaware of my presence. I looked up at him with a shine of awe in my eyes, and I could quickly feel my cheeks burn bright red as I stared at his peaceful nature.

The calmness didn't last long, as Knuckles suddenly opened his eyes and looked down at me. But, instead of a glare of annoyance, it was a gentle gaze of pleasant surprise.

"Y/n, what a surprise to see you out here." He spoke in his usual blank tone. I gulped slightly before responding.

"Well, Sonic and the others are worried about your whereabouts. They told me to come and find you-"

Knuckles jumped down from his place, landing right in front of me. I started to blush even more as I noticed his closeness.

"My meditation is complete. You are free to take me back."

I hesitantly nodded, trying to keep my emotions under check. Unfortunately, however, Knuckles had already raised suspicion of my emotions.

"You... are quite red in the face, Y/n. Are you unwell?"

"N-No, no, I'm fine..." I stammered, somehow blushing even more.

Knuckles then put his hand on my cheek, and it felt like my knees were going weak.

"You are very warm too. Are you sure you are alright?"

"I'm sure... I'm sure."

Knuckles huffed in response, removing his hand from my cheek.

"Come now, we shall return to the Wachowski's house."

~Later that day~

It was now nighttime, and everyone was safe back at the house. I'd decided to stay over, and so I was spending the night sat by the roaring fire, a warm blanket draped around me. I stared at the flames, deep in thought about Knuckles and his behaviour back in the forest. It made me shiver with an unknown feeling, the strange sensation in my stomach returning to torment me. I sighed heavily, closing my eyes. But as I felt myself falling asleep, I was jolted awake by the sound of footsteps approaching...