~Chapter 16~

(Longer chapter for you all, enjoy :])

It was the next day, and evening had come quicker than it usually does. Since I was beginning to hang out more with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, Sonic decided to invite me over for a sleepover in his room- which happened to be the entire attic. The space was definitely big enough for all of us, and it was filled with a bunch of things to keep us all occupied. At the moment, the four of us were sitting in a circle on cushions and beanbags, chatting and snacking. But, it was clear that all of us were very tired, it being way past our usual bedtimes. Sonic had started up a game of truth or dare, and it was going well.

"Right, Knuckles, truth or dare?" Sonic spoke with a yawn.

"I would have to go with dare, Hedgehog."

"I dare you to go on a little stealth mission down to the pantry and bring us up more snacks."

Knuckles didn't hesitate in getting up and leaving, but as soon as he left, Sonic's mood changed to a mischievous one. He leaned forward in his seat slightly, smirking at me.

"So, Y/n, how's things between you and Knuckles, eh?"

I looked nervously at where Knuckles had left, and I turned back slowly.

"In all honesty, things are going weirdly. He keeps on trying to say things to me, but he's way too easily distracted on whatever just so happens to 'interrupt' him."

Sonic nodded with a sort of understanding, though I'm sure he didn't understand a thing.

"He can be like that at times. But, I just wanna know if you plan on making a move anytime soon."

Sighing, I shrug at his words.

"Maybe, I'm just planning on the right time."

"Alrighty. If you need help, I'm right here to guide you both in the right direction."

At this point, Sonic sounded like a couple's therapist, and I didn't know how to respond to his new attitude with anything but a gentle nod.

Knuckles came back with 3 whole bags of Doritos, and we all spent the next 2 hours snacking on those before finally heading to bed.

○•○•○

By the time, everyone was settled in, it was near midnight. Sonic and Tails had their own beds, and they were sleeping soundly already. Knuckles had decided to rest on one of the beanbags, and I took a place in the middle of the room. I laid down on a few pillows and blankets that were in an arrangement below me, and I looked up at the stars through the ceiling window. I heard one of the others shifting slightly, but I paid no notice to it until a figure came and sat near me.

To my surprise (not), it was Knuckles.

"Are you not sleeping tonight?" He whispered, watching as I stared upwards.

"I guess not. It's quite chilly tonight..." I replied blankly.

"How can I help warm you up, Y/n?"

"A hug, maybe?" I joked around, chuckling under my breath.

But then I remembered.

Knuckles doesn't understand jokes.

Next thing I knew, Knuckles was laying next to me, his arms wrapped around me and his head resting by my head.

My face, yet again, began to go bright crimson. I started to breathe heavily at the proximity, and Knuckles noticed; but instead of asking a question, Knuckles whispered.

"Someone's flustered..."

I sighed heavily at his words. Since when did he start talking like this??

"Y-Yeah, definitely, heh..." I chuckled nervously, my lips quivering slightly.

This only made him hug me more, his big gloved hand holding me tighter.

"Knuckles?" I began to ask.

"Hm?"

"Why are you treating me this way? Surely there's a reason for this..."

"You said you were cold, so I'm sharing my body heat to warm you up."

I furrowed my brows. That couldn't be the only reason, right?...

"Well, yeah, but... that's your only reason? There's no ulterior motives behind this?"

As I spoke, Knuckles shifted his body onto his side, his head now above mine as he looked down at me. The way the moonlight lit up his red quills and made his purple eyes shine was entrancing and purely beautiful. He spoke in a quieter whisper.

"There is a motive, but I couldn't dare let the others find out about it."

"What do you mean by that?..."

"Well... it's hard to explain. Maybe because I've already tried to explain it..."

What on earth is he trying to say? It felt like gibberish at this point.

Then, it all clicked.

"Wait, so through all those moments- from that moment on the cliff edge to this moment now- you've been trying to tell me something?"

"I have... why did you think I did such odd things? Or why I went to speak to Tom about what was going on? I was trying to communicate a message to you."

My face started to burn even brighter as his words.

This was it.

This had to be it.

This was the moment I'd been waiting for for months...

"So..." I muttered, "Yesterday, when you were asking about what a kiss was, were you... planning to use that?"

Knuckles opened his mouth to speak, before the gentle chime of a nearby clock went off, signalling that it was now midnight. I looked at the clock for a while, before turning back to face Knuckles again. But just as I did, something happened.

Before I could realise what was happening, I felt warm lips press stiffly against mine. I focused my attention on the feeling, before realising what had happened.

Knuckles was kissing me.

Holy crap.

The kiss lasted only only for a few seconds before he pulled away, his breathing shallow and uneven. I looked up into his eyes, but before I could speak, he got up and moved right back to his beanbag. I could hear him sit back down, and within no time at all, he was most likely asleep.

I sighed heavily, the strange feeling in my stomach heightened x10 more than usual, and an odd tingling sensation was left on my lips for a long while after the kiss.

Truth be told, it was hard getting to sleep after that...