~Chapter 17~

The next morning couldn't have come any slower. Luckily enough, I'd managed to fall asleep, but by the time I awoke again, it was almost noon. Everyone else was awake and downstairs, so I quickly headed to the living room. When I arrived, everyone looked at me, obviously questioning my late awakening.

I sat on the couch, next to Tails, and didn't speak a word as I watched some awful reality show on the tv.

Sonic came into the room a minute later, a smug grin on his face as he looked at me. He sat on the other side of the couch, sparking up a conversation.

"So, you finally made your move, huh?"

I looked at him in confusion.

"What... Do you mean by that?"

"Well, actually, I wouldn't say you made the move, but Knuckles certainly did."

My eyes suddenly widened as I realised that he was talking about the events of last night.

"Yeah... wait, how do you know? You were fast asleep."

"That's what you think. I heard the conversation, and I definitely heard the little kiss sound. Plus, Knuckles has been going mad all morning, saying that he 'made a mistake' or something along those lines..."

My eyes widened even more at Sonic's words.

"He thinks he made a mistake?... Where is he right now?"

Sonic shrugged.

"He's in the garden, I think. Good luck getting anything out of him, though."

I nod and get off the couch, slowly walking to the garden. As I got there though, I realised it was raining.

It was raining heavily.

I noticed Knuckles pacing around the garden, his shoes muddy and his quills soaking wet.

"Knuckles!" I shouted over the sound of the rain, standing in the doorway, "What are you doing out here?"

He turned to me, his eyes slightly wide.

"I need time alone, Y/n. I need to learn from my mistakes the same way my ancestors did."

I furrowed my brows.

"By standing out in the rain and getting your shoes dirty?"

"My ancestors believed in the rain being able to recover one's state of mind after a mistake or some misfortune."

"From what mistake, though?! You haven't done anything wrong."

Knuckles huffed, kicking a rock and watching it fly off into the distance.

"Don't you remember what happened last night? I didn't intend to do that, and I could tell you were very uncomfortable when it happened."

As I heard his words, I ran out into the garden and stood opposite him, my body immediately becoming drenched by the rain.

"Look..." I spoke quietly, "That wasn't a mistake. Truth be told, I genuinely enjoyed that kiss. I haven't stopped thinking about it since it happened. You made no mistake, you were just doing what felt right at that moment, I assume..."

His eyes lit up, and his large gloved hand took mine, holding them gently.

"So, you didn't mind it happening?" He muttered.

"No, I didn't mind. If anything, I'd have it happen all over again..."

Knuckles looked away, deep in thought, before turning back to me and placing one of his hands on my shoulder.

"You really would?"

"Yes, I would."

Suddenly, Knuckles pulled me in for a kiss, his lips pressed against mine once more. The kiss lasted a bit longer this time, but it still felt like no time at all when we pulled away. I looked at his eyes in awe, my heart fluttering in excitement, before wrapping my arms around his neck in a gentle embrace. In doing so, I also kissed him back, pecking him a couple of times before burying my head in the crook of his neck.

The first time in a while, Knuckles smiled, but as he tried to hug back, he heard a couple of voices by the doorway...