Chapter 38: Fair

|But caught up in each other, we didn't notice that the door to my apartment had opened, revealing my mother.|

Unaware, we continue our effusion but just when the kiss was about to deepen, we hear someone clear his throat

That's when we both widened our eyes, turning around to face my mother.

<Mom!> I squeal, shocked.

Her expression is a mix of surprise and awkwardness.

I can't believe this happened.
It's been too long since I made a fool of myself in front of someone.

I immediately look down, red like a tomato.

<How about you both come in?> My mother just says, acting like she saw nothing.

I glance at Minho and he waits for me to say something.

<Uhh... yes...> I manage to say, unable to look my mother in the face out of embarrassment.

She nods and she lets us in. We place down all the gifts and we awkwardly stand in front of her, not knowing how to act.

<So... Nice to meet you, I'm Eunbi's mother, as you may have already guessed> She says, with a small smile, stretching out her hand to Minho.

I'm surprised she didn't question anything or make a fuss over it.

I can see a hint of panic in Minho's eyes but he slolwy reaches out for my mother's hand and shakes it politely.

<Likewise. I'm Lee Minho, I go to the same school as your daughter> He says, trying to make a genuine smile.

<I don't think you were just an acquaintance of my daughter out there> My mother jokes but she gains only some nervous laughters from me and Minho.

<I'm sorry Mrs. Kim, it's my fault-> Minho started to say, bringing both of his hands in front of him in defence.

<What do you think if we talk about it calmly over dinner together?> My mother interrupts Minho and he gulps.

<Mom... I don't think Minho can stay for dinner> I say, trying to avoid more complicated situations.

<Oh... you can't?> She asks, pouting at him.

Minho finds himself cornered because he feels already guilty for having made a misunderstandable impression on my mother and he doesn't want to seem rude by also declining the dinner invitation.
On the other hand, he doesn't want to put me in trouble or in an awkward situation with my mother.

Minho then glances at me, asking me for help with his eyes.

I softly smile and nod.

Minho brings his lips together in a thin line before taking a deep breath.