{Chapter 1: When It Awakens}

"This night would mark the start of our calling. They would hear our voices in the echo of gunshots, see our faces in the smoldering flames, feel the tremors of our footsteps stalking behind every startled heartbeat. The world would know us like they never have; we are more than just monsters.

"This is where our destiny begins."

The words rang in his ears, hardened his bones. He lifted his head to the copper skies, the taste of dirt and ash on his tongue. Perhaps for the others, this was where their destiny began.

As for his own, it all started with a game.

*

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

With a speedy hand, Vincent brought a card up from the deck and slapped it against his forehead. He struggled to hold his grin as he watched his opponent do the same. He couldn't see his own number, but across the table, an Eight of Hearts pressed between Kailan's eyes.

The small group that had gathered around them erupted in hoots and guffaws at the draw. Their reaction made Vincent crumble into a tipsy laugh, lowering the card in his palm. Eight of Spades; they'd matched again.

"This isn't any fun if we keep matching." Kailan plucked up a shot glass from the center of the table. He reached across with the offering, and Vincent took in with a sense of challenge.

"I've got all night." Vinny tossed the drink back and recoiled with a deflating hiss. "I think you're scared," he added, voice gruff from the burn.

"I don't get drunk, Vinny, you know that." Kailan tipped back his own glass, lassoing up the loose cards to shuffle the deck. "I'm out, someone else can take my place."

He began to rise from his seat, when Vincent interjected.

"One more," he pleaded, a white catty grin budding from his lips. "One more, or I turn the music up."

Kailan rolled his eyes and slumped back into his chair. "You know how many 'one more's we've had?"

"One more," he repeated with a dimpled smile.

Kailan shook his head, but his grin stuck as he fanned the cards from one hand to the other.

From across the table, Vincent observed.

Perhaps it was the intensity that burned in his eyes, or the crescent smirk that could frighten the Cheshire cat himself. But Kailan could silence a crowd with only a look. It was an aspect of his appearance that Vincent admired—not only did he admire it, but as much as he'd never admit it, he found it pleasurably intriguing. Seeing Kai's deviant grin was like being patted on the back by the devil himself.

Most seemed to avoid him for his mesmeric, yet intimidating, appearance. If it weren't for his narrow glare and sharp, stenciled features, he'd seem entirely harmless—but Kailan always wore the same expression; a dark, resting stare, covert and calculating, like he was balancing the world between his teeth and it was only a matter of time before he sunk his fangs into it.

Despite his appearance, Kailan was amusing; energetic; fun in a rebellious manner. He was a trouble-maker, much like Vincent himself—but the affect he had on a room was almost laughable. They all seemed to hush the moment he stepped inside. To all, he was an anomaly.

Well, to all but one.

There was a presence beside him—one that Vincent had spent the past hour ignoring. Sage sat between them, watching the game go on and nervously nipping at the sleeve of her sweater.