{Chapter 36 : Solstice}

After days in immense pain, Vinny had called out a private doctor—someone who could look to the wound and keep his mouth shut when it came to Johnathan. It was a simple house call—a cleaning of the area, and a quick look at the stitches; which were, as he described, "textbook-flawless". It was comforting to know Jahni had such a grasp on these things. If it weren't for him, Kailan would have bled out. Gigi's illusion would have been a reality, and the thought of it made Vincent ill to the core.

But Kailan was alive and well, and by his side as they neared a nightclub by the name of Solstice. The place was shabby, but the club itself timeless. It was owned and operated by Jeff's parents, and on the rare occasions that they were out of town, he used it for his own selfish desires. Tonight of which was a get-well-soon party for Vincent himself.

He had planned to keep his wound a secret, but once a brace was strapped onto his shoulder, the injury became impossible to hide. Instead, he had been telling others that he'd gotten into a small crash while speeding on the outskirts of the city. The brace on his shoulder was from a "fracture", the rings around his neck quickly became burn marks from the seat belt. That was all it took, and suddenly his near-death experience was just another excuse for one of Jeff's drink-'til-you-drop revelries.

He had no interesting in coming at first, but there was one reason alone that sparked a motive. Now he was dragging Kailan inside, to the penetrating bass and the resounding clank of shot glasses. The party was smaller this time. More formal. No football players, no strangers—namely just those Vinny knew from classes, those he'd become close to at one time or another, and of course, those he'd left after a long night of sex; only to be forgotten and supplanted with another just the same.

The club scene was nothing new—he'd been here many times before. He loved the dark ambiance but hated the cramped atmosphere. That's why it was nice, having the entire place to only a few dozen of them. Everyone was dressed to match the scene; particularly the women, who sashayed by in high heels and tight dresses. He had never been one for this type of party, but it mattered little to him. They wouldn't be staying for long.

As for Kailan, he was sighing and shaking his head at the music. It was a bit too loud for his tastes, but as always, he'd manage through it. He himself had no real reason to be at the party. Something about them had lost his interest in the years, but as always he was dragged into the festivities one way or another. Tonight, it was a simple "you're coming" on Vincent's part. Kailan hoped it would be over quick, like ripping off a Band-Aid.

"This music is going to give me a migraine," he complained, rubbing at his forehead. Vinny's lips curled into a side-lifted smirk at his whining.

From the moment they stepped inside, eyes attached to them like morbid moths to the hostile flicker of a flame. Of course, most eyes were on Vincent; he was the man of the hour. But even without reason, he drew attention like a six-foot-two blonde-headed magnet. It annoyed Kailan.

"Bear through it," Vinny muttered back to him, "We'll leave in a bit."

It was a struggle not to take Kailan's hand, but it felt as if the world was watching them in that moment. No one outside of their cluster knew about the relationship. That was why Vinny had come to the party, why he had dragged Kailan along. He didn't want to keep it a secret, but he was far from a plan.

In the meantime, something to sooth the discomfort would help. "I'll get us a drink."

He could spill it to a single person; a secret so large would never be kept in confidence. Maybe make the rounds—introduce Kailan as his boyfriend and ignore the questions that followed. He needed a drink, he'd find a solution then. But as left Kailan's side, he felt a sudden grip on his arm.