{Chapter 18 - Alley Cats}

Another bone-chilling scream quashed his thoughts and brought Vincent's attention to the bloodbath on the big screen. Flesh, teeth, eyeballs hanging from tendrils, all sparking squeamish cries from the crowd. He quickly dropped his eyes to the cell phone in his lap. Unlike Kailan, he'd never been one for horror flicks. Hated everything about them. And more than anything, he despised the jump-scares.

Just then, the entire audience erupted in a start. Gasps, screams, and then exonerating laughter. Everyone got a kick out of the startling scene but Vincent, who bit his lip, eagerly awaiting Jeff's reply. They'd been discussing a party, and Vinny was quick to jump on the topic of Gigi. If she was to show, it would give him the perfect opportunity to confront her. All he needed now was a text back from Jeff.

But slowly and surely, his thoughts were serenaded by the climactic music. His distraction ebbed away, his attention drawing closer and closer to the screen. And then there was a flash of lightning. A chainsaw was taken to the woman's neck, the blade tearing through flesh, flinging blood about like wet petals from a rose.

Vincent jumped as his cellphone vibrated against his thigh, all color flushed from his pallid face. God, he hated horror flicks.

"Gigi Dubois?" Jeff had responded, "Yeah, she'll be there."

It was a relief to step out of the theater thirty minutes later. The sun had gone down long before they'd even arrived, but Seattle was well lit with street-lamps and neon signs; rushing glow from passing cars, and light that seeped from apartment windows and saturated the lively city.

"I can't tell whether I liked or hated that movie," Kailan said as they gathered at the nearest wall. He rubbed the stiffness from his neck, and gave his muscles and overdue stretching. The movie was a mess, and he wasn't a picky person. But as far as horror flicks go, it was Hollywood trash.

"It was the best." April refuted, "You loved it."

"Actually, I think I hated it." He said, causing her to pout.

"You're just saying that to be an ass." Much like a child, April crossed her arms over her chest and smacked her boot against the pavement. Kailan couldn't help but grin at her moping expression. "See, you're lying," she accused, and Kailan's only retort was to place a hand over his chest as if the words had offended him. April giggled at his animated expression, and all was forgiven.

Vincent rolled his eyes.

He'd been clashing with April all evening, the two barking at one another like pugnacious lapdogs. Had something happened between them? Not at all. He just suddenly seemed to find her presence obnoxious. With her around, he was a third wheel. Third didn't suit him. If anything, he was usually the one riding the damn bike.

"Aw, my rides here," she seemed disappointed, acknowledging the text on her phone. She said her goodbyes to Kailan, and only stuck a tongue out at Vincent in her typical whimsical manner. Then she left to frolic across the street, towards a sleek car patiently awaiting her arrival.

"Well, that was fun," Kailan said, and threw an arm around Vinny's shoulder. He hadn't been paying attention, and the gesture made him jump. In a second flat, Kailan's signature Cheshire grin was slicing through his face, "Didn't get scared, did you?"

Vincent scowled and dropped his cellular into his pocket. Horror movies were never his thing. His excuse was always the same; they were the cheesy, low-budget trash. A waste of money—which was really quite a shitty excuse for someone like him. But in reality, Vincent scared easily. He always had, and it was a fact Kailan had unearthed at a young age.

He shrugged Kai's shoulder off with a grimace and walked on, "Pretty sure I slept through half of it."

Kailan practically giggled, "Sure, buddy." He caught up with his long strides, folding his hands atop his head. "You've always been a pansy for gore. But that movie was horrible. I hate cliché horror," his sigh hummed with disappointment.