{Chapter 33 : To Paradise}

"How much longer?" April whimpered from the back seat, "I have to pee!"

"For the last time, shut up," Vinny barked with a disgruntle sigh.

The sun had set ten minutes before, the road before them losing light—turning into nothing more than an opaque curtain of night.

A week had passed and the rioting continued—only now it had moved closer to home. Jahni had decided to hold off training until the worst of it had passed. For now, he was staying with Leah.

But even so, the protestors and police seemed to be stepping on one another's heels—pushing and pulling their chaos throughout the city. Vinny thought it better to escape, and as much as April and Gigi got on his nerves, he cared about their wellbeing. He offered them a night at the cabin—or a week, if it took that long. After a terribly long ride, they had reached the metal gates, and there was a relief in knowing they'd soon escape the cramped rental car.

Vinny spared a quick glance at April in the rearview mirror. "We'll be there in ten minutes."

"I can't wait that long," she hissed, shaking an impatient knee.

"Just go pee in a bush." Gigi smiled, tapping the arm of her sunglasses against her teeth. "I'm sure it'll be fun for you, making some friends with the other forest rats."

"At least I'd have friends. Miserable witch."

For a short while there, the two seemed to be getting along—now things were slowly returning to the usual; one pissing off the other until they were nothing but a flurry of claws and teeth.

Kailan was trying his hardest to ignore them, his face dimly illuminated by some silly phone game that had been serving well as a distraction. Still, the two girls bickering was exhausting his own patience. He wasn't really paying attention to what exactly was being said, but their irate voices drilled into the back of his head.

"Can't you two play nice for like thirty seconds?" he asked, his voice almost monotonous and he heard Gigi scoff.

"That's precious, especially coming from you," she said pointedly, crossing her arms.

Kailan paused, scowling at her words. "I have my moments."

"Oh?" A smirk climbed high on Gigi's lips. She leaned over from her spot in the passenger seat. "Is this true, Vinny? I'm curious about these 'moments'."

"What?" Vinny asked, shooting her a momentary glare before his eyes fell back to the road, "What are you talking about?"

"Your boyfriend, of course," she smiled, chin nested in her palm, "Does he 'play nice'?"

Vinny looked confused, until Gigi leaned in and whispered a few soundless words into his ear. Vinny flinched in turn, pressing on the gas enough to suck the woman back into her seat.

"Whoa!" She laughed, fixing her hair as she sat up straight. "I didn't think I'd get a rise out of you. This is new."

"We're here," was Vincent's only reply.

As they neared the cabin, the car rolled to a slow stop, and Vincent jerked the gears into park, hastily snapping the door open.

"Everything should be supplied for us. Just try not to trash the place." He shrugged his hands in his pockets, shoving the driver door closed with his shoulder.

April was the first one to bolt to the door, antsy to break inside and use the restroom. "Code is zero-three-four-three", he called after her and April thumbed the numbers into security lock. The door opened with a beep, and she flung herself inside with a despairing whimper.