{Chapter 37 : Johnathan}

Vincent threw back a handful of pills, drinking them down with a glass of frigid ice water. His body was still sore, his hair damp from a recent shower.

He slacked hunched over the kitchen counter, breathing the pain out through his nose. In and out, in and out, until eventually he could drive the discomfort from his thoughts. The painkillers he'd received weren't strong, but he didn't need much. He was still just as mobile, and over the past few days, the pain had dwindled to near nothing. Now it only ached when he got careless, and careless he had been.

Though he wasn't concerned with the pain, his ability was another story entirely. His flames were feeble and weedy and crippled away in only seconds. He could hardly light a cigarette; getting himself into trouble again would be his downfall. That's why Jahni insisted he stay home. He said his ability would mend as his injury did, and until then he didn't want to get his hands bloodied up again anytime soon.

"Something wrong?" Kailan was seated on the couch, where he peeped up from the light of his laptop screen.

"Not really," Vinny replied and Kailan set aside his laptop and rose to join him in the kitchen. Watching Kailan fill a glass of water, Vinny hopped atop the counter and smiled wryly. "Aside from the fact that people still whisper about me as I walk by. And the guys at the shop look at me like I'm some sort of inbred alien. But it doesn't really matter, considering Jahni will kick my ass if I leave this place." He slicked his wet hair back and sighed. "There are countless gay men at this school, yet the fact alone that I'm with a guy seems to have shaken the entire campus."

Kailan held back some laughter, a hand placed over his mouth. Then he stepped closer until he was smiling up at Vincent from the space between his legs. "You were the biggest player on campus, Vinny. Not to mention you were also only with women." There was no ill intent with Kailan's words; frankly he was amused by it all. "But then I show up and it takes a little more than a few months for you to be in a gay relationship—with me, of all people." His gentle smile matured into a playful grin. "But I'm not complaining."

"The hell would you have to complain about?" Vinny hooked him by the collar and lured Kailan in closer. "Because of you, I'll probably never see a naked cheerleader again."

"I sure as hell hope not." There was the slightest edge in his voice, but Kailan held his smirk. His hand slipped beneath Vinny's jaw, fingers nipping into his cheeks as he brought him in closer. "Frankly the only person you should see naked is me." He clicked his tongue, voice taunting and irate, "But I'm no cheerleader, so no good, right?" He dropped his hand, and just like that, he was walking away.

"Hey." Vinny chuckled, bounding down from the counter. He caught up with Kailan, his arms tied around him and he drew him back against his chest. "I was joking." His laugh warmed his ear, and he craned down to kiss Kailan's neck. "But you do look good in green."

"Do I now?" Kailan smirked and tipped his head to make the spot more vulnerable, though it was more out of habit than anything. He could feel the power of Vinny's lips bristling his skin, and in that moment, he'd almost forgotten entirely how annoyed he was. Enclosed in Vinny's arms, he twisted his body to kiss the distracting lips of his. "You're an ass sometimes, you know that?"

Vinny grinned, nodding ever so slightly. "Don't get so jealous." His lips came to rest on Kailan's cheek, and he could feel Vinny's chuckle blow softly against his skin. "I'm not all that interested in cheerleaders anymore."

"Yeah, yeah," Kailan said in a sigh, lazing back against his chest. His fingers floated over his shoulder to ghost in light trickles along Vinny's throat, "I'm hotter than cheerleaders anyways."