{Chapter 28 : Kai}

Author's note: Because I am seeing some insulting comments on this chapter, I need to make this known. You are by all means allowed to dislike Gigi. You are allowed to talk about how much you dislike her. You are allowed to stop reading this book because she's unlikable. I wrote this book SIX years ago and would not write Gigi the same today--she is definitely problematic and I've warned you of this at the beginning of the book. You are entitled to that opinion, but when your issue goes from "I dislike this character" to "I dislike the author because of this character", I have a huge problem. Please do not tell authors how to write their books. And do not shame them just because you dislike their characters.

I would not write Gigi the same if I rewrote Wicked Ones today. But you know what? She would still be a bitch. She would still be nosy and aloof and she would probably still piss you off. Because that's how Gigi was always meant to be, and I would take a real frustrating bitch over a Mary Sue any day. 

If you're really derailed from reading an entire book because of a peripheral character, ok. That's fine. Check out my recommendations for something else.

- Rowyn

A week had passed since his incident, and Kailan's stitches were finally gone, leaving behind a scar that would fade into nothing but another jagged imperfection. Still, he was relieved to be able to do much of anything—even with Jahni watching him like a hawk.

"How's it feel to be able to train again?" April tugged up him from the floor by the wrists. "Maybe now I have a real opponent," she enunciated, taunting the others.

"April, don't antagonize," Kailan lectured with a grin. He couldn't hold it back; it was nice to be able to train again. He had hated doing such things in military camp, but it was different in smoldering weather with an arrogant flat-top pressing a boot into his back. Here, he was with friends, and the matter was more important than disciplined education—something they needed, rather than a grueling labor to keep them occupied.

The only downside to it all, was having to share the same sour air as Gigi—who was currently following Vinny around like a leech on the trail of blood.

"Vincent."

"No." Vinny had been trying his best to ignore her, but she was a shadow on his back; following him here, and then there, until finally he'd given her an answer.

"Come on. Don't you think it's kind of important?"

He took a bottle of water from the fridge, slamming the door closed as he turned to pass her by. "No, Gigi. Go train with April."

She scoffed, crossing her arms with a look to match. "April, train with me," she called casually over her shoulder, and April turned her attention away from Kailan just long enough to respond:

"When hell freezes over."

"See?" she smiled shrewdly at Vincent, but he rolled his eyes and carried on with his business. "Come on," she pleaded.

Vinny swung back to look at her, head slanting in exasperation. "Why the hell should I?"

"You and I are basically an even match, right?" Her lips slimmed into cocky smirk.

"We are not."

"Prove it."

Vincent took her by the wrist, and in seconds she was turned away, her hands trapped behind her back, and her body bent forward in an agonizing discomfort.

She scowled from the pressure, and looked back at him with a whimper. "Alright, alright! Jesus, let go."

"We're not even." Vinny asserted, pushing her forward as he freed her wrists. He was improving slowly, but Gigi was hardly a match to begin with. Since her arrival, she hadn't so much as lifted a finger. According to Jahni, she was the most resolved of them all. He found the merits of her abilities admirable, and decided that physical training was only a waste of time—time that should be spent strengthening her aptitude.