{Chapter 13 : Fire Extinguisher}

It sucked, it really did. It wasn't even seven in the morning and Kailan felt wide awake. Rolling over onto his side, he slowly sat up and rubbed his face with tired hands. Vinny never returned last night, and while part of him worried he might have been snatched by the Syndicate, he knew that wasn't the case.

Rising to his feet, he noticed the cat sitting on Vinny's bed, eyeing him with devious slits. He cooed at the animal, holding out a gentle hand. It hissed and swatted at him, all the while glaring with stubby ears pinned flat against his head.

"Prick," he grumbled, yanking his hand away just quickly enough.

His other was already injured, a deep cut in his palm from the mess of glass he cleaned up the night before—and It would stay that way. Kailan hated hospitals. He refused to make the trip for stitches, so the skin was held together with butterfly bandages and gauze.

"I don't have classes until this afternoon." He wasn't speaking to anyone, simply thinking aloud. Still, he was tired and regretful. He had said some things he shouldn't have in the heated dispute the night before. "I hope he doesn't read into shit," he muttered, flexing his wounded hand. The words compelled a soft snort to gust from his nose, and he shook his head. "No, he's too much of an idiot."

"Cally! Baby are you awake? Open up! I want to apologize."

Vinny shot up in a start. The nude blonde next to him was still cuddled against his chest under a sea of red silk blankets.

"Come on, honey. I miss you!" Jason whimpered against the door.

Vincent nearly fell out of the bed, prying on his clothes and stumbling over himself to manage his feet in the correct jean-legs. This was the second time in a row that he'd fucked up and spent the entire night with a girl. The first was only an accident; this time it was a stupid mistake.

"What's going on?" Cally sounded groggy as she sat up, a sex-headed bare-breasted mess. When she recognized Jason's voice on the other side of the door, her eyes widened. She looked to Vincent in a snap. "Shit! He has a key! Go!"

Vinny hastily pried on his shirt, ripping open the dorm window. It was a two-story drop the ground, and it looked like a dangerous one at that. He tossed his shoes down first and pulled himself through the small gap, grasping hold of the bricks to let his body dangle before dropping to the pavement below. It was still a large fall, and his feet hit the ground with a shattering force. He was surely scraped up from his unsightly landing, but there was no time for a breather; adrenalin was pushing him forward. In one second flat, he holstered on his shoes and took off running.

He was winded by the time he got back to the dorm. Kailan was nowhere in sight, and he was more than relieved to avoid the awkward encounter. He carried himself to the kitchen for a glass of water, and indulged until he felt he was drowning.

It was a lengthy run from Cally's building to his own, and after a night of angry sex and a forty-minute sprint, he found himself drenched in a jacket of sweat. He wiped the salty beads from his neck and grimaced. A shower was calling his name, but from where he stood, he could already make out the soft patter of running water. He gave the bathroom door a gentle tap. "Hurry the hell up, will you?"

He was calm now. Irritable but calm. He wasn't exactly sure if Kai felt the same.

It wasn't long before the ambient noise came to a stop and Kailan emerged from the bathroom, his hair strung damp with water and a wad of bloodied tissue wrapped around his palm. He hardly gave Vinny more than a glance, walking into the kitchen and scavenging through the drawer for the first-aid kit. Vinny watched with an inquisitive brow as Kailan redressed the wound in gauze. Once done, the kit was placed neatly away, and Kailan made his way to the couch without a word; sinking down in the soft chenille.