{Chapter 40 : Bad Omen}

While Kailan didn't regret finally having sex with Vinny, he was surely feeling the aftermath of it. It had been hell trying to get up, a burning ache in his lower hips. The cold weather wasn't aiding him in finding any sort of comfort, so for much of the walk over, Kailan was grumbling and grimacing, and crossing his arms over his chest to trap in the warmth.

He didn't see the point in coming, considering Vinny couldn't train and he sure as hell didn't feel up to it, but according to Jahni, it was obligatory. Even if they weren't fighting—if they had no agenda at all, Jahni wanted them within arm's reach. Maybe for their own protection. Maybe for something else entirely. Regardless, he forced a smile at April as they stepped inside.

"Well you look peachy," she joked, noting Kailan's weary appearance.

"I'm fine," he said simply, running a hand through his hair—still pleasantly scented and damp from his late night shower. He'd skipped classes entirely, and it was well past noon when he'd finally untangled himself from Vinny's sheets and slinked miserably out of bed.

But at the sight of April, he felt a sudden urge to fetch a cab home and crawl back in. She was giving him a look—one he'd seen before. The very same she showed him the day Vinny held a knife to his throat; a look of suspicion.

Vinny was tickled by the irritation written on Kailan's face, and left him to deal with April's skepticism on his own. Jahni had managed some painkillers for him—nothing too heavy, but strong enough that he had begun to lower the dosage. He didn't like to have a dependency on drugs. Not anymore. So to stay distracted, he came to watch Kailan train—if he was even capable in his state.

A grin nearly swallowed him whole as he watched April lean in and scrutinize Kailan, reading him from head to toe, as if there was a secret written somewhere on his skin. There was. All over his body, Vinny had left their little secrets, but they were covered well by the high neck of his sweater. Kailan had gone to extra lengths to tuck them away.

A soft voice pulled him from the scene, and he found himself staring into Gigi's smoky, cattish eyes. "Feeling better?" She wore a sheepish grin, and at the sight of it, dread settled in Vincent's stomach.

"You know already." He sighed.

"I do, I do." Gigi clicked her tongue, shaking her head in disapproval. "How's it feel to be a sinner?"

Though her teasing was subpar, Vinny scoffed anyways. "Don't say a word."

"The poor unfortunate soul." She looked to Kailan, dropping a hip. "You really have a heart of ice."

"Stay out of his head," Vinny lecture, but Gigi laughed as if she'd never heard such a ridiculous indictment.

"You think I want to see that? What you two do in bed is none of my business, and please, for the love of god, don't make it my business."

"Then we're on the same boat," Vinny gave her a side-eyed glance, and Gigi returned it with a smile.

"Guess so."

There was a short pause before she turned to him with a frisky grin and said, "Well, come on then. I'm sure by now you'd know."

"Know what?" he asked, watching April bounce in front of Kailan as she pleaded for a scrimmage.

"Where you stand, sexuality-wise. You know. If you're gay."

He turned to look at her. "I'm not—"

"You're still into girls," Gigi rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. But look at you, Vinny. You never smile this much."

He was smiling? In a snap, Vinny wiped his expression flat, and Gigi laughed at the suddenly serious look on his face.