{Chapter 16 : Jason}

Several days later, Kailan still hadn't made any progress with his powers. Granted, he didn't have any desire to. He lingered around the warehouse for most of the day, bearing through Jahni's lectures and resorting to his phone for hours of entertainment. But despite his slothful attitude, April was working relentlessly to coax him into joining their little 'training' program and his efforts were fruitless.

"Kailan, please." She drew out the word in a childish whine. "You've got to use your abilities, too. Besides, storms are cool." She was trying to tug him outside, though he was very much grounded where he sat.

"I told you no," he grumbled, falling over onto his back. He had no desire to do anything, really. He would have stayed home, had Jahni not been so strict about their attendance. "If you haven't the time for training, you haven't the desire to improve; come or do not come, but do not test my patience," or something like that.

"Vinny, he listens to you, help me." Her lips fell into a pout, but they twitched flat when Kailan laughed.

"No I don't."

"Kai, please—"

"Go paint your nails or something, I refuse."

She made a dejected noise, and he could catch her glare from the corner of his eye. Still, it was not enough to cajole him to his feet.

"Leave him be." Vincent was sitting on a nearby crate, watching as sparks flickered from his fingertips whenever he'd so much as snap them together. He knew what it was like to genuinely fear your power. He also knew how stubborn his best friend was. "Getting Kailan to do something he dislikes is like dragging a cat to water and expecting it to take a swim."

April frowned. "But we have to keep improving. How are you going to do that just sitting there?"

She was right about that. The sole reason Vinny decided to join this little tea party was to hone in on his skills; to get a better grasp of them, so maybe he wouldn't fear fire so much. It'd be good for Kailan to do the same.

"Kai,"—he gestured with a nod,—"can't you just make it rain or something?"

"Fuck off," he snapped, dropping a hand over his eyes. He was exhausted; most of his night was spent studying, with little time to catch up on his sleep. He was in a bad mood, and it showed in every restless twitch of his fingers.

April glared lasers at him, stocking over and snapping a swift kick to his side, "At this rate you'll be useless and Jahni will kick you out. What, are you afraid of storms?" Her tone was taunting, as if jeering him would do any good.

Instead he laughed, though the sound was inaudible and the only notion was the shaking of his chest. "Yeah," he admitted.

"Storms are practically harmless, though."

Sitting up in a jolt, Kai looked to the girl like a judge peering down on a convict.

"Now look what you've done." Vinny laughed from aside.  

"1,700 injuries are caused indirectly by thunderstorms per year in the United States alone. Lightning causes about fifty-five fatalities a year, and thunderstorm winds cause about thirty-one deaths," Kailan barked back pointedly. "Besides, they're fucking loud. They're too loud."

"Don't you think that's a bit of a childish fear?" She was only trying to help, but the question irked him.

"A childish fear is being afraid of the dark, that walls are closing in or there's a monster under your bed. A childish fear is one that doesn't stick with you, one you grow out of. I'm twenty, I have been afraid of storms since I was five." He cut the conversation short with a glance down at his phone; he'd said too much already.