{Chapter 24 : Guilty}

Kailan hadn't really been expecting it.

He was unsure what to say, a long stretch of silence seemed to follow them—suspended over their heads like a metaphorical rain cloud. They stared in stillness for a spell, neither sure how to react.

Kailan was the one to break the trance, laughing and closing his eyes as he looked away. "You suck at this." It was a shallow laugh that left his breath, but the humor was superficial. Rising to his feet, he avoided stepping on Vinny and held out a hand to help him up. "Though with practice, I'm sure you'll get better."

One might not see it, but Kailan was shaken by the incident. Some overwhelming urge in his stomach suggested something toward Vinny. Feelings, or at least an attraction. An anxious dread held him by the throat, and he found it hard to swallow. But Kailan kept it all concealed; on the outside, he just chuckled and gave his friend a lopsided grin.

Vincent pressed his tongue to his teeth and let out a surly sigh, reclining in a nearby chair. He was winded and pained, and a little unnerved by the exchange. He pinned it on the strange dream he'd had. Dreams always had a habit of fucking with his head. It'd fade in a day or so.

A hand hooked his nape, quieting the goosebumps on his neck and he let his head hang low with a big gusty sigh. He hoped it would fade, at least.

Gigi looked quite upbeat as she sashayed onward to invade his personal space once more. She held a dainty paw to her mouth, stifling her uncontrollable laughter.

"What?" Vinny scorned as she took the seat next to him, throwing him a sheepish grin.

"Nothing." Her lips cracked into a smirk and she cocked her head impishly. "It's just absolutely hilarious seeing you so flustered."

Vincent raised a brow. "Flustered?"

"Oh, Vinny," she sighed and crossed one long, appealing leg over the other. "You're a laugh."

It wasn't the prying he minded. Someone was always in his business—that was the life that happened to come complimentary with Johnathan's shiny little mansion. But Gigi was starting to piss him off. She knew something he didn't and she was dead set on dragging him along in the most excruciating ways, until the cat was out of the bag. He'd had enough. He ejected from his seat and took her by her wrist. She seemed almost pleased by the gesture, struggling to stay upright in her heels as he towed her alongside him.

"Kai," he called over his shoulder. "I'll be home late tonight."

The words were vague, and their meaning easily misconstrued, but he was too angry to go into details.

"Where exactly are we going?" Gigi cooed, nearly choking back laughter as Vincent dragged her along.

"Somewhere without witnesses." Vinny gave her a push through the doors, and disappeared behind her without so much as a second glance in Kailan's direction.

"Alright," Kailan muttered, but by the time he'd gotten the words out, Vinny was gone.

It was a strange thing he was feeling. Something negative and nauseating. He sighed and gathered his things, hoping to make it home before the evening rush. There was no need to stick around any longer.

"Kailan, you okay?" April asked, her voice smaller than she was.

Kailan turned and looked down at the petite girl. "Of course, I think I just need some air." He fastened on his coat, quick to leave the warehouse behind him. April called after him, but he ignored the worry in her voice. He couldn't help but feel anxious, if not agitated.