{Chapter 41 : Destitude}

Two weeks had passed without a hitch. It had been nice for Vincent, to not be bothered by early morning classes. And because he wasn't on campus anymore, he wasn't perturbed by the piercing stares from Jason, or his team of Neanderthals. The name hadn't seemed to come up much at all, actually.

His shoulder had improved, hardly hurt nowadays. He felt only a pinch as he heaved his luggage atop the bed and took a seat at the edge. Still, he rubbed at scarred flesh. It still felt wrong to him. Maybe it would never feel the same again—maybe it would never stop hurting entirely. Maybe his fire would never come back. He was beginning to worry that it would become a permanent hindrance on his capabilities, but his shoulder was the least of his problems.

He still had no idea where he'd be going, but by law, he had to be out that day. He was running through possibilities in his mind, stacking what if's on his shoulders. What if he couldn't land a job? What if he had to move out of the city? What if he couldn't find a suitable place, even if just for the night? In a matter of time, he'd gone from one of the wealthiest men in America, to homeless.

Kailan watched him from the doorway, observing the sullen shadows pass over Vinny's face. He didn't like the fact that they couldn't live together anymore, but an apartment in Seattle was too costly for the both of them. Even if working minimum wage, they'd just barely get by paying rent, and neither of them had the cash saved for a deposit.

He sighed, sitting down—not on the bed, but rather Vinny's lap. His frown deeply etched into his face, he rested his arms on Vinny's shoulders, mindful of his injury. He didn't want him to move out, he didn't want a new roommate; he hated sudden changes, they always threw him off.

"This sucks," he grumbled.

"I know." Vinny's arms slipped warm around his waist, and he smiled. "I can still visit. It won't be that far off."

Still, it was no secret that the two would be parted after this. It was still a dorm, not an apartment complex, and he couldn't come and go as he pleased without being a resident of the building. The thought bothered him and he eased out a sigh, leaning his head against Kai's chest.

"And we'd see each other at the warehouse, plus this means we'd actually have to go on dates if you wanted to see me aside from then," Kailan tried to joke, but honestly neither were happy with the situation. It felt strange. He knew he wasn't losing Vinny again, but he wouldn't be there anymore to distract him from a storm, or a bad day, or himself for that matter.

He ran his fingers through Vinny's hair and they stayed like that for a while, not moving. Breathing slowly, in a soothing synchronization with one another. Then, after a moment Kailan leaned back a bit, so he could tilt Vinny's chin upwards. As Vinny gazed up with those cerulean eyes of his, Kailan gave him a small smile and kissed him gently, if only to keep him distracted. Once he finished packing, he'd have to leave and Kailan didn't want that.

As he felt Vinny's hands slip under him and scoop his body closer, Kailan grinned against his lips. The kiss was slow, drawn out for as long as he could manage, before he lifted from Vinny's lips and sighed softly to himself. Moments like these would be rare with Vinny gone and he couldn't help chuckle at the dramatics of it all. It felt more like Vinny was being sent to war than moving a few blocks away.

Vinny fell back into the bed, pinching the shirt on Kailan's sides. "You're making this harder than it needs to be," he said with a smirk. Even though he blamed Kailan, his fingers curtained up the sides of his shirt, his thumbs sweeping across the warm skin below.

Kailan pressed a hand to Vinny's stomach so he didn't fall from the sudden lack of a perch, and his other roamed, ghosting over Vinny's features—following the lining of his brow, and the sharp, straight bridge of his nose. Then they passed over his lips, and trailed slowly down his neck. And all the while, Kailan leaned in until he could feel Vinny's lips against his own. "I'm not very sorry, though."