Chapter 20

Luke

As we were lying down in bed, snuggled next to each other, I battled with the questions raging in my head.

I just really have to know.

"Livie?"

"Hmm?"

"Why didn't you use all the money you got from selling the studio to start another one in Louisiana or get an apartment at a decent neighbourhood and..."

"Lucas..." She started to protest.

"I just want want to know. What happened to your dancing? You're good and talented and it was your dream," I said. "You loved it. It was your passion."

"Things change, Lucas," she said.

"Not your love and passion. Those two will never change."

"I had the twins and half the money was yours."

"I gave it to you."

"It was a loan."

"If you had planned on giving it back to me, why did you wait so long."

"What are you talking about Lucas? I mailed the check to you, but you sent it back..."

"You mailed it to me?"

"Uhuh," she nodded.

"I never..." I trailed off, then I realized something.

"What?" she asked.

"I had strict instructions never to accept any phone calls, mails, emails... Anything from you," I admitted.

"Oh..."

"I'm sorry, Livie."

I felt her shrug. "it's in the past," she said.

"Still. I'm sorry. No matter what you did and how angry and hurt I was, I wanted you safe. You have no idea how upset I was to found out where you were working and where you lived. With my sons, no less. To see you like that, Livie... It killed me!"

"I was fine, Lucas."

"No you were not fine. You were working all hours of everyday, while taking care of the twins. You barely had any food for yourself, and then I find out that you had all that money and you never touched it?"

"It was your money, not mine," she said stubbornly.

"But..." I started to say, but she cut me off.

"The twins were all that mattered. As long as they were happy and healthy, I was happy," she insisted.

"But Livie, you were killing yourself."

"Don't be dramatic Lucas. I wasn't killing myself."

"You lost so much wait," I pointed out.

"I was eating. It's not like I was starving myself."

"Yeah. Where? What?"

"At the diner. The coffee shop."

"Jesus, Livie!"

"Lucas, stop. It's in the past."

"And dancing?"

"What about it?" She responded nonchalantly.

"Do you want to teach dance again, and have your own studio?"

She sighed. "No. I want to focus on taking care of the twins."

"Livie..."

"Lucas, please. Just drop it, okay," she insisted.

"But..."