Chapter 27

Luke

I burst through the front door and ran towards Livie's room.

Oh god.

Please be there.

Please...

I opened her door not bothering to knock and found the bed empty.

I went to the twins' playroom next, and it was empty. I went through every room and found the rooms empty. No sign of the twins or Livie.

"Fuck!" How can you be so damn stupid and careless, I scolded myself.

I should have gotten rid of those papers... No, I shook my head. I shouldn't have had them drawn, and I shouldn't have allowed Livie to sign them.

I had this nagging feeling all throughout the day at the office. I couldn't quite put it, then when I finally realized it, I hurried home, but fuck I'm too late.

They're gone.

I burst through my study and stopped on my tracks when I saw Livie sitting there.

"Livie..." I whispered.

She didn't look at me.

My heart thundered in my chest.

My eyes grew misty.

She was holding some papers... Without a doubt I knew it was the papers I asked her to sign... She knows...

Fuck!

"You know, Lucas... Every time I tell myself that there is nothing more you could do to hurt me, you keep proving me wrong," she said coldly.

"Livie," I took a step towards her but she stopped me.

"Don't. Don't come near," she hissed without looking at me.

"Livie... Baby, please..." I said brokenly and that's when she looked up.

I winced.

My gut clenched and my heart squeezed the air out of me.

Her face was pale and drawn in pain. Her eyes were red and puffy.

How long has she been crying?

Helplessness gripped me. All I wanted to do was wrap her in my arms and beg for her forgiveness, but the look she gave me, stopped me.

"When did you have these papers drawn? Before or after the first time I asked you if you trusted me?" She asked.

I winced and clenched my teeth tightly.

She laughed. A sardonic laugh. "Even then we had no chance. And yet when you proposed to me, I asked you again if you trusted me and you said yes. God... What a fool I've been!"

"Livie... Let me explain. Please," he begged.

"Explain? You're asking me to listen to you? Why?" She asked. "Why should I listen to you?"

"Livie you don't understand..."

"You're right. I don't," she let out a shaky laugh. "I don't understand how you were able to convince me that we could make it work between us. I actually thought that I could stay with you. That the past doesn't matter. I did myself a huge disservice."

"Livie..."

"This," she said as she waved the documents in her hands. "this says everything I need to know. You don't trust me. You never did! But I... I trusted you. I trusted you even when I shouldn't have. And you knew that. You knew I trusted you. You knew that I wouldn't read these documents and you used that against me. But I guess the blame is on me. I should have known better. Any sane person knows that they should never sign papers without reading them."