38

Accidents hurt but heartbreak hurts more. That is not how Jace was feeling at the moment. His head hurt, his hands hurt, his feet hurt and his huge bruise on his chest hurt. For just a while, he forgot about how Arnold had hurt him. For just a while, Jace was not conscience to the world. He was oblivious to all the sad expressions sorrounding him. Oblivious to his whole family standing next to him, begging him to wake up and sometimes, oblivion heals us.

Jace had been in a comma for three months, not a medically induced one, H
e was unconscious because his head felt the impact more than any other part of his body. He had not moved a single muscle in his body, his vitals were constant, he was not making progress, at least that was what Doctor Lee said when he was talking to Jacob and Michael.

Arnold had also blacked out after the news but he had recovered, he was now sitting in the hallway, completely dishevelled, no one was talking to him. Not even Blake or Ben. He felt inferior and lost. He could never handle this. No one was telling him who the two year old kid who was always cuddled up on Jace's bed was. No one gave him answers he was looking for and he was all to blame. He was sobbing and he didn't even realize it. Arnold fisted his hair and screamed into it, he was loosing it and if Jace didn't wake up soon, he would completely lose it.

Suddenly the doctor came out of Jace's ward room. He was immediately crowded by the whole family.

"We need a match for his blood immediately...or better still an O...we think he might be waking up but he is too weak due to his decreased supply of blood. We already used five blood bags and it seems the hospital is out.." The doctor did not get to finish his sentence.

"Are you damn kidding? Am paying you millions to treat him and you come at me with deficiency of resources?!" It was Michael, he was not happy.

"I...I'll test mine..." Arnold's soft voice cut through the atmosphere and for the first time his family turned to look at him.

Arnold POV

Dad shook his head no. He looked shocked and sad and confused all at the same time.

"No my son won't donate blood that can be paid for from another donor." He said frustrated....Son...he called me son again. Ben nodded.

"Yeah, search for a possible donor, we will pay any amount..." He said.

"No problem sir but his liver is also badly damaged...he might need a transplant..." This time i did not let dad speak for me. I stepped in front of him and spoke to the doctor calmly.

"If it is a match, i will donate mine." I said. I was ready to risk anything to show Clarence just how much i cared.

"Arnold..." I turned to dad and stopped him.

"Dad stop....am well over eighteen and am now a grown adult who can make decisions. This is the love of my life on the line here! If it was Jacob you sure as hell would give even your heart for him so please let me make it up to Jace... Let me take responsibility for my actions." I said calmly. Dad seemed like he wanted to protest but after Jacob held his hand he calmed down and sighed.

"If its a match i will let you..and if the doctors can assure me you will come out of the damn donation room alive!" He said glaring at the wall across us. I smiled and Blake came up to me.

"You know we were so mad when we heard Jace got an accident, we thought you chased him away or something...but seeing you this passionate about him just changes everything." He smiled ruffling my hair. A guilty blush crept up my cheeks as I chuckled nervously.

"Uh..pfft...like i would ever do that to someone i love so much..." I said still feeling guilty. They all looked at me like i was an alien before they all shrugged and sat at a waiting bench awaiting the doctor.

"Mr Arnold, please enter the test room so our lab assistants can take a sample of your blood and check for any diseases in the blood or on the kidney." The doctor said three hours later. I stood up just as he assured dad.

"We have called for back up blood sir, it will be here in an hour or two." He said. Dad simply nodded looking at me like he did not want me yo go inside the test room, which he didn't anyway.

After the sample was taken and multiple tests were conducted, i was told to wait outside for the results. Everyone seemed pretty nervous and dad had already called the mafia hospital in USA to ship a kidney for transplant in case mine was not a match. Am pretty sure he hoped it wasn't but i did not call him off for it. He was a father, it was only normal to worry. I still felt the tension between my family and i even if they were worried about me. For four years i had not visited them, i understood where they were coming from.

I shifted in my seat and let out a sigh. Jacob turned to me but the rest were quietly sorted staring at nothing in particular.

"Uhhh... Guys...i have something i want to say to you all...." I started. They all turned to me but i could tell Daniel, Dennis, Chris and Cain did not want to hear me out. I sighed and took a deep breathe.

"Guys am sorry i didn't come home for...." Dad cut me off before i finished.

"Can we just finish this predicament before we move on to the next?" He asked.

"Dad.. I.." I was cut this time by the doctor walking to us with a huge smile on his face.

"I have great news for you Miguels...Arnold's kidney is approved for transplant...congratulations." He smiled and once again, a heavy tension returned, one filled with relief and possible fear of the worst. I nodded and stood up to follow him.