Chapter 18

"See, it's their picture of 2024 when they played their last cricket. I wasn't lying, I was honest but you didn't believe me" said Julie giving her the phone.
"Is that why they don't let me watch or play cricket?"
"Probably they didn't want you to know their real identity"

The little kids made up their own reasons for them not telling the truth to Shubisha. She wasn't sad for not knowing this fact but happy. She had fallen in love with cricket and was pretty good at it. She took this as a good opportunity to become a cricketer.

She made her way to her home. She reached soon, got freshen up and took out her bat.

"Can we play?" she said to Shubman who was cleaning dishes.
"You took out this bat again? Didn't I put it in the cupboard?" Shubman said taking it back.
"I wanna play cricket! Even the restaurent is closed today. Can't you spend some time with me!?" She shouted at him.
"Keep your voice down. That is not how you show respect to elders"
"I wanna play, play, play! I'll not eat anything if you won't play!"

Ishan entered the kitchen upon hearing them arguing.

"What happened, Isha?" He asked.
"Why don't you both play with me? What have I done?" She asked.
"I'll play with you later okay?" Ishan said trying to calm her.
"No! I want to play now!" She shouted again that made Shubman angry. He was about to slap her but Ishan hold his hand.
"Have you lost your mind? She's just a kid. She doesn't know our past" Ishan said not believing this behaviour of Shubman. Shubisha started crying and ran to her room. Shubman started crying too, he didn't want her to get into such sports that can either make you or totally destroy you. Ishan hugged him and kissed his forehead.

"It's okay. I understand you but ek na ek din to wo sab jaan jayegi na" Ishan said caressing his head.
"Will she ever forgive us for keeping this a secret?"
"She will understand our struggle. Don't take stress. Go and make it up with her"

Ishan took him to her room. She was sitting in a corner and crying. Shubman hugged her and made her sit on his lap.

"I'm sorry princess. Will you forgive your father for his bad behaviour?" asked Shubman wiping her tears.
"I will but you'll have to do something"
"I'll do everything for my doll"
"Play cricket with me"

Shubman pressed his temples but couldn't disagree anymore. He agreed and took her to their backyard.

"Take the bat. I'll bowl first" she handed him the bat. His hands were shaking seeing it in his hands after years. He didn't even touch any bat or ball in all those days. Ishan gestured him to calm down and play. Shubman nodded and defended the first ball.

"You play like international cricketers" said Shubisha.
"Do I? Thanks princess" said Shubman doing his iconic prince gesture he used to do after scoring century. Ishan was feeling relieved seeing Shubman indulging in cricket again. He would always sit in the porch with hot coffee, loving the view of his boyfriend and daughter playing together. Some times even Ishan would play too as he can't say no to Shubisha.

It was Sunday today and the weather was neither hot nor cold as West Indies has high temperature through out the year so it wasn't really cold even in the month of October.
Ishan was cleaning the tables and chairs before opening the restaurant, Shubman was in the kitchen taking out the utensils to be used for cooking. Shubisha was sent to her school earlier.

"Is the restaurant opened already?" Someone said leaning on the window where Ishan was cleaning. Ishan flinched for a second because of the sudden appearance of that person. Ishan fell on the ground after seeing his face. He was no one but his own brother, Raj.

"Bhaiya? Aap yaha kaise?" Ishan said hesitating, not believing that he was really infront of his eyes.
"Meri yaad nahi aai?" Raj said jumping in straight through the window.
"You're not a ghost right?"
"Do I look like a ghost?" Raj said and hugged him. Ishan couldn't hold back his tears. Feeling the comforting embrace of his brother after all these years was blessing to him.
"Why are you crying? Don't cry, I'm here now" Raj said and wipped Ishan's eyes.
"Who told you about us?" asked Ishan as they had no contacts before.
"Well... Who else can? Ofcourse Rohit bhai did. By the way where's Shubman? Did he take care of my little brother?"

Shubman came out to talk to Ishan but was surprised by the sudden appearance of Raj.

"Raj bhai?" Shubman ran to him and touched his face. "You're real right?"
"Arey tum dono pagal ho. I'm really Raj Kishan. You guys aren't dreaming. I heard that you both have adopted a sweet lil girl. Where is my niece?" Raj asked looking in every direction.
"She's in her school. Please sit na" Ishan said giving him a chair.
"You know Rohit bhai told me yesterday that he has found you both. I couldn't wait and I came here without telling anyone. Not even Pakhi" Raj stopped after saying the name of this girl.
"Pakhi? Who's she?" Ishan asked having no idea about her.
"She's my wife and I'm blessed with twins. Both son and daughter who turned three years old this year" Raj explained showing them the pictures of his wedding.
"My niece and nephew are so cute. I would love to meet bhabhi" said Ishan. He was sad too for not being a part of his brother's wedding.
"It was so boring without you. I never wanted to do my wedding without you guys. Still, I had to do it for mom and dad" said Raj apologetically.
"It's okay bhai. I'm happy that you're living a good life with your family now"

By the time Ishan spoke, a few customers entered in. There was a room connected to the kitchen where they used to take rest if they had to work all night in case of big fairs. Ishan let Raj sit there while Shubman took the orders.

"Bhai, I'll be back soon with some drinks and snacks" said Ishan.
"No I'm not in hurry. Ab aaya hu to tum dono ko aur meri niece ko le ke hi jaunga"

Ishan didn't answer back to him for his last line. Ishan told this to Shubman who couldn't say anything as well. They closed the restaurant early and arrived at their house. Raj was just looking at the pictures hanging of the walls of living room. All of them were taken after they were in West Indies as there was no picture of them with cricketers or family. They didn't want Shubisha to know about their past. They had many pictures of them taken when they were in ICT and many with their families but all were locked only in their memories.

"Please sit, I'll bring water" said Shubman walking towards the refrigerator.
"Tum log to mujhe guest ki tarah treat kar rahe ho. I can do this myself, no need to take stress" Raj said taking the empty glass from Shubman's hand.
"But you're older. This is how we show respect to elders right?"
"4 saal pahle kaha thi ye sab habits?" Raj teased him. They had pretty good bond in the past just like real brothers which was broken.

"Bhai don't expect us to go back to India with you" Shubman said in a serious manner avoiding their previous conversation.

Hope y'all loved this one! Thanks for reading and keep voting.