Azrael: EVAUGHN

EVAUGHN by angiee019
Was to be reviewed by @kalhixo
Reviewed by: Deathsloved

(Review is in the score format)

First impression (graphics & blurb) - 6/10 points

Graphics - (2/5)

Though the cover tone certainly resonates with the theme set out by the blurb, it feels sloppy. The word 'Evaughn' , the main object of the story, seems to have been just awkwardly plated with a tilted ambiguous image , which doesn't give the aroma of suspense or mystery that I think the author was hoping for.

Blurb-(4/5)

Now the blurb is pretty good. Indeed, it is very short when compared with convention, but that is precisely the attractive thing about it. It tells you exactly what it is without beating around the bush and pertains to a theme that isn't so openly written as the main theme but rather as a sub-theme. So that certainly got me intrigued. But there were slight grammatical errors due to which I deducted one mark .

(Not like no one is perfect ' reason as given by English teachers of school)

Opening / Hook (prologue or 1st chapter) - 12/15 points

I loved the premise you had already set in description. Now I was a bit sceptical at first. My experience with books starting out with very slang type tones haven't been generally good. Yet , you surprised me . No, that doesn't adequately cover it. You painted the scene without need of description in the way you carried it so smoothly. I could almost see it as a Netflix series scene. But there were some changes of tones at times. But it was so good.

Plotline / Storyline (continuation) - 12/15 points

I really liked the way the story is so fast paced and dealing with Evaughn's well. Like the way Iris and Evaughn interaction happened, his frustration and responses were shown and Luke was just fabolous. You have a real knack for words and plot. The fight scene was also great in chapter 2. But the dramatic shift you showed from Neo in the past to today and the voices in chapter 3 was cherry on an already well crafted cake. Chapter 4 was refreshing and I really like the Luke-Iris-Evaughn interaction.

Character development - 13/15 points

Neo's character has been as interesting as Evaughn and that is saying something because it is hard to balance both and especially make you really understand the person who is supposedly the abuser of the protagonist in the first instance. Are you subtly hinting Evaughn-Iris relation? Well, I hope not because I like Luke.

Storytelling & World building - 13/15 points

But Sarah and the way she died and execution to meet Neo and Celine. It was all just perfect. It was like watching a show where you have just seen the clean up or accomplice of a villain, I deem Neo, and then their past soon. No words. The entire world has been so vividly painted and feels real. Though I must say for some reason, I feel a deja vu as I have already read this story. Maybe because I guess these things are common in American shows. But still to depict in writing takes talent. So Kudos.

Technicalities & Presentation - 11/15 points

It was overall great though the paragraph could have been better structured. But for the purposes of the wattpad audience , it works. For novella, it is a different matter.

Engagement & Enjoyment - 14/15 points

I was heavily intrigued by the story from the moment I started to read . One can hardly even think of wanting to skim some parts for everything that feels relevant and so simple. I just loved it. The crush trope, the cousin rivalry trope, the trope of abusive caretaker and suspense with ex-girlfriend killing and stuff.

Total - 81/100 points