Episode 12: Better Angels

Hershel's Farm

It had now turned morning at the farm as everyone was attending Dale's funeral with Ethan giving a final moment about Dale.

Ethan: Dale could-- could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare. And brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us-- the truth, who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety...

Ethan started shedding tears and his voice was breaking as he continued.

Ethan: Our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on, we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale.

Ethan grabs a single flower and places it on Dale's grave.

Hershel's Farm

After the funeral, Ethan was talking with Hershel with Rick, Jayden, Shane, Daryl, Samantha, and Beth there as well as Hershel suggested them to the in the house for the winter as everyone else was loading up stuff from basecamp in their cars to take to Hershel's house.

Ethan: Gonna be tight, 18 people in one house.

Hershel: Don't worry about that. With the swamp happening, the creek drying up...

Maggie: With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell.

Hershel: She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago.

Ethan: All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property.

Ethan looks to Carlos, who was helping T-Dog and L.J. load up their stuff in the truck.

Ethan: Carlos, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going.

Carlos: What about standing guard?

Ethan: I need you and Daryl on double duty.

Carlos: Gotcha.

Carlos heads back to basecamp to grab more things.

Hershel: I'll stock the basement with food and water, enough that we can all survive there a few days if need be.

Andrea: What about patrols?

Ethan: Let's get this area locked down first. After that, Rick will assign shifts while me and Jayden take Randall offsite and cut him loose.

Rick: Exactly.

Shane: We're back to that now?

Ethan: It was right plan first time around. Poor execution.