XVI. To Escape

XVI. To Escape

RIN'S POV

I jolted up, breathing heavily as cold sweat rolled down my skin. I was quickly yanked backwards onto bed due to the short length of the chains that were shackled to my wrists. As I lay on the comfortable white sheets, I look around me, realising that I was in a room to treat the sick of some sorts. Wiggling my toes, fingers and nose, I realised I was back in full control of my body.

I had finally woken from a real life nightmare.

How long I had stayed in the poisoned state, I had no idea. My world was a world of green, before it was just darkness. A sea of black void of anything. My senses...I barely knew what I could feel, see, hear, smell or taste. I was conscious, at least that's what I think. The world was so empty, it scared me. Magic was a gift, something that varied in type and damage. Could there ever be a magic somewhere out there strong enough to do such damage?

I shudder at the thought of what I had experienced. I never wanted my mind poisoned again. Ever. I could only hope that Wendy had not gotten poisoned as well. I lifted my head up slightly and sniffed. Wendy hadn't been here. Guilt flooded me as I thought back as to why she had ended up trapped with me. I had to get out and free her. It was the least I could do for her.

I was weak, sluggish and chained to this bed. Was there ever a chance to escape? Am I really destined to carry out the Summoning for the Ventury? To have my life forsaken once the entire process was complete and the Ventury rid the entire world of Dragon Magic with some key?

Desperation fills the air as a thrash about and tug on my chains until my wrists bruise. I scream and shout and try to get up but nothing seems to be working. I had been so weak, having submitted and succumbed to the poison. I feel pained, thinking about how much of myself I had lost. How could I ever tell anyone I was a Dragon Slayer when I couldn't protect the people around me, or even take care of myself?

"Oh my!" A female's voice came from the doorway, revealing a lady in a loose, pale mauve dress. "Don't harm yourself unnecessarily. You haven't fully recovered yet."

"Don't touch me!" I yelled in her face when she gripped my hand, examining the bruises. I could feel a cool energy from her, and she wasn't wearing armour, unlike anyone else I had seen here apart from Eircon Rosen.

"Shh..." she says, unclasping a bracelet and putting it around my hand. "You finally woke up from the poison, oh thank the heavens."

I could feel myself relax, but I refused to let my guard down. For all I knew, she could've been the one who poisoned me. "Who are you? And where is Wendy?"

"Mary Henrietta," she said, placing her cool hand on my forehead. "I'm the Leader of the Ventury's Healers. I'm here to take care of you and help with your escape. Wendy is safe, but because she wasn't poisoned, I couldn't take her under my custody."

A weight seemed to lift off my shoulders when I heard about Wendy's safety, but my eyes narrowed at Mary. "How can I know you can be trusted?"

"Well," she sighs, fiddling with her bracelets nervously. "I know it's hard for you to trust anyone here, but trust me more than the rest. I don't like the idea of the Summoning, of life being taken away as Eircon sees fit. Dragons, Dragon Slayers and the rest of the living creatures in the world. Aren't we all the same, starting out with a life granted to us equally?"

"What's the current situation right now?" Even though I was still wary of Mary, I could tell she was rather honest with regards to her viewpoints on the Summoning. "Did anything bad happen when I was poisoned?"

"You're still poisoned, but there's very little left in your system." Mary explains. "You've already learnt the Summoning. When you were unconscious, Mari came in and taught the spell to your body. Though you were not aware, you have already learnt the spell. Since the dosage of Fizz's poison was too much, I took you under my custody and my Healers worked day and night to drain out the poison."