XX. The Turn Of The Fight

RIN'S POV

Where has everyone gone? I could pick up many familiar and unfamiliar scents, but dead ends seem to greet me everywhere I go. Maybe I was just bad with directions, or that this entire building was a maze. I kept feeling cold shivers down my spine as I rounded corner after corner, expecting someone or something to just jump up and attack me. Paranoia was indeed setting in, increasing with every step I take.

As I wandered around the Ventury building alone, my arm still tingled from the warm touch, as if it was burning my skin. I pause my frantic movements, and shake my head violently, though the blood still seem to rush up my cheeks just at the thought of it. I shouldn't be reacting to this, especially towards that Rune Writing mage! It had been a long time since someone had shown such concern for me, and I was just overreacting. Yes! That was it.

Maybe I had made the wrong decision to have tried to find everyone on my own. I could feel my skin crawl as I walked along the empty hallway. Unfortunately, it was too late for me to turn back on my decision. I had placed Wendy in enough danger, and if we had stuck together, it would be easier for the Ventury to recapture us. That would certainly tip the scales of the fight, putting Fairy Tail at a disadvantage as the Ventury would use the Celestial Spirits to kill all the Dragon Slayers and possibly the guild too.

But the situation has changed, turning into a far more deadly battle. If there was a traitor to the Ventury, a murderer on the loose, an issue that concerned everyone within the premises, be it Fairy Tail or the Ventury. Both shouldn't be butting heads, though the situation before the issue of the traitor would make this far much more harder for a solution to arise. I sigh, realising that the traitor had probably planned every imaginable situation out to have picked such a prime opportunity to strike.

Fairy Tail wasn't the killer, that I was positively sure of. I followed the scent of blood to a room underground, but not once had I smelt the lingering scent of any of my guild mates. The room, though rather dark, was full of glistening blood everywhere, illuminated by a single lightbulb in the center of the hexagonal shaped room. I covered my mouth and stood rooted as I took in the sight of the four, or maybe five bodies in a mangled heap, their bodies marred by dried blood, ugly wounds and fresh blood still flowing slowly out somewhere. It was so messy, a mix of red, brown, black and human flesh under the low light condition. I didn't dare look any closer. I knew I had killed someone before, but to see a bloodbath like this by myself was an experience I didn't ever want to go through again. Bone-chilling, dark and cold. It was scary how eerily silent the room was, and I was the only living thing present that made the frantic breathing noises that seem to amplify, making the situation far creepier than it already was. My gaze couldn't seem to stray away from the pile of bodies, a feeling of trepidation crawling up my skin as I kept expecting one of the corpses to just leap up and shake me, making gurgled noises as it tries to get me to escape. Shaking my head vigorously, I tried to remove that image to calm my furiously beating heart but to no avail. I could feel my heart hammering rapidly against my ribcage, as if my heartbeat had increased tenth fold in the past few seconds when it had sunk in that a murderer was on the loose, and I could be next on his or her list of potential corpses-to-be.

We had figured out with Mary's beloved, that it was highly likely the murderer was amongst the Ventury. If that murderer was intent on killing these people, it meant that I had a bright red target on my back too. To figure out what was going on, and the murderer's next move, I had to think like a murderer. He, or she, would definitely go after me. I was the key to their entire Summoning, and my death would ruin it for them. Yet it seemed almost impossible to identify anyone in particular right now.

I continued walking along the basement when I caught a familiar scent. I could recognise that scarlet red hair and armour almost anywhere. The only thing that blocked me from her was a shimmery layer of Runic Seals, set up by none other than the blonde with black tips next to her.