XVII. Stellar Relations

A/N: to the older readers who had read this before the chapter numbers became roman numerals (until "XI. We're After That Dragon Slayer") please read the older chapters as there has been some changes made and it may be a little confusing. Thank you for the support! :)

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Mary Henrietta never believed in the Ventury's mission to eliminate Dragon Slayers. She had been in the Ventury the day she was born. She had grew up here, in the main and original Ventury building since the Henriettas had continued to stay with the Rosens even after the Ventury was disbanded many years ago.

She was glad that she could get those two to be under her care now. For the time being, the safety of the two Dragon Slayers were guaranteed, until Lord Eircon or Mistress Eyalle or even her mother, Lady Elizabeth Henrietta had come for them. Anyone else's word she had enough power as a leader to cancel it that she had yet to use in the five years she had held the position, as compared to Mari, who only received her leadership position six months ago and fully exploited it.

Elder Ceinlys had gone ballistic when Rin had tried to escape, immediately calling for the special cell room to be prepared, and requesting the chains to sap away her magic. What she didn't expect or witness was how Rin needed magic to survive. Mary had casually strolled by, only to have felt the lack of magic and the strong coppery scent of blood. As a Healer, she had smelt enough blood to be able to identify the stench as fresh blood. Quickly, she had tried everything, but it wasn't enough. That was how she had quickly sent one of her younger Healers to fetch Mistress Eyalle over and to plead her case to have Wendy under the Healers' custody as well. Eyalle had thankfully and quickly agreed, which brought her to her current predicament.

It made her realise her "custody" of Rin was only in word, not holding any power or any protection for the Dragon Slayer. Especially when Elder Ceinlys had caught Rin's attempt in escaping the Ventury building. That woman was conceited, and paid no heed to anyone she considered below her.

"I've tried everything to seal the wounds, but they don't work." Mary sighs, pressing a new pristine white towel that was quickly turning a deep shade of red as the scent of coppery, metallic blood fills the room. "But even your Healing Magic cannot work?"

Wendy nods tiredly, wiping sweat off her brow. She had tried everything she had learnt in an attempt to seal the wound but to no avail. Also, the true form of Rin's eyes were revealed, but due to the lack of magic, blue crystals stared right back at her, blood pooling around it like tears. Rin's eye area was so badly destroyed by whatever force that had taken her eyes and cause her tear ducts to be damaged beyond repair.

"She's so pale..." Mary says worriedly, holding on to Rin's hand. It was a relief to have felt a steady pulse when she had first entered, but it was slowly weakening.

Mary had no idea what to do. She was experienced, having known the solution to every situation her archive had. This was something that was not in the archive. No prophecy she studied had told her about this. No knowledge on Dragon Slayers or how to heal Rin was in her archive. She refused to seek help. People sought help from her, not vice versa. A Healer with Archive Magic asking for help was considered weak, and Mary would not let the Henrietta family's strong pride in the power they wield go to waste just because of this situation. Since young, Mary had been quiet and rather shy unless it came to family pride, considering the history behind the Henriettas becoming Intellects and Healers over the years. Though she was unsure, Mary had a hunch on why Rin had ended up in such critical condition. It was just a hunch, and she had to examine those chains shackled around Rin's wrists carefully...

* * *

Wendy was scared for Rin. She seemed to be in critical condition, and her magic seemed to have disappeared from her body. Wendy had been freed from chains similar to Rin's, strictly instructed not to do anything like how Rin had. The protection barrier was strengthened every now and then, causing the air to be rather stagnant and dry. Mary had told her that there had been rumours of how Rin had managed to contact the guild, and that the procession had to be done as soon as possible.