XXXVI. Sierra's Redemption

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"Gray-san, Rin-san, is anything wrong?" Wendy asks as she arrived with Carla in tow. Her eyes widened at the sight of Paul and the lachryma bomb, but said nothing as Gray grabbed her whilst Rin grabbed Carla made a run for it. As far away from the detonation point as possible, but they could already feel it in the air. Dragon Slayer or not, the tension in the air was palpable as the lachryma pulsed with magic inside it. There was no need to explain the situation, they had to either get out of there or at least protect themselves from the bomb.

"We won't be able to get out of the building, but at least we can block ourselves from it!" Gray yells, throwing Wendy towards Rin, who barely caught the girl and set her on her feet. His hands moved in a flash, smoke coming from where he drew upon his Ice Magic. "Ice Make: Shield! Rin, boost me!"

Rin nodded, drawing upon her magic as well. "Ice Fire Wall!"

With Gray's shield as the initial buffer in case the Ice Fire wasn't quick enough, they had blocked out most of the effects of the bomb, though the impact had knocked all four of them unconscious. No matter what happened to them, they had been guided with their deepest survival instincts, and hopefully, it had been enough.

When they had all came to, their fortification was luckily still intact, but they weren't out of the woods just yet. Opening a small hole in her Ice Fire to check out the surroundings, Rin was met by nothing but a dark, black fog that shimmered and encompassed their entire surroundings. It was as if they were in a dark forest rather than a place that intially held the Henrietta Library. Rin had stared at one drifting tendril of fog entering the little barrier, almost touching it before Gray had pulled her back to let Wendy examine the fog as well.

"Watch it!" Gray had said when he pulled her back, reprimanding her as if she was a child and as if they weren't the same age. Though as Rin calmed herself and collected her thoughts, she understood why he had behaved like that. She smiled to herself, glad she had found great comrades in Fairy Tail.

"Poisonous fog." Wendy replied, confirming their suspicions. "But I can use my Anomalous Conditions to get us out safely. It won't last, so we'll have to move fast."

"Let's do it." Rin replies, her Aera magic coming out as she hooked her arms over Gray's underarms as Carla grabbed Wendy, her Aera magic out as well. "I'll open the hole upwards, and same for the barrier. Would that be better?"

Wendy nodded, her arms spread open as Sky Magic gathered around her and a green magic circle opened beneath her, Gray and Rin, the duo simply staring at her magic circle in awe.

"Sky Magic: Vernier!" Wendy yells, releasing a bubble of enchantment that raises one's speed and defence to higher levels. "Anomalous Conditions: Antidote, enchant!"

With that, they shot out of the opening Rin had made, though it seemed that this lachryma bomb had properties of Dark Magic as well, which ebbed away at Wendy's magic.

"Ice Make: Floor!" Gray yells as he forces a large, flat ice structure to push down the tendrils, though it seemed to be still seeping through. "Rin, pull me higher!"

Rin could only nod as she forced all the strength she could muster to pull the Ice Mage up. They had to get out of there as soon as possible, the black tendrils clinging and burning at their skin.

When they had all flown to safety, which was a small lake by Alchemilla to wash away the effects of the tendrils and tend to the wounds they had received from the terrible night, and the morning after, did they finally caught a deep breath to take in all that occurred.