Special III. The Anima Project: Good Or Bad?

T H E    E D O L A S    D A I L Y

THE ANIMA PROJECT: GOOD OR BAD?

Year X785

Written by Gajeel

ROYAL CITY, EDOLAS-We have all witnessed the fall of the mighty King Faust, the man who had let greed get the better of him. Before, we were unsatisfied with the lack of magic power, though we had still continued our lives. Magic was integrated into our lives though we did not manifest it, and we depended on it so much it seemed almost impossible to live without it. The King didn't want to give us magic power, he wanted it all for himself and thus the Anima project was established. Though she could not testify, Princess Rinalia was likely to have helped advertise the fact that it would bring magic power to the people, but it was just a side effect after our former King basked in magic power he deemed satisfactory.

You see, Edolas has a parallel universe. There, magic was abundant. They weren't suffering from any form of magic deficit like Edolas did. Some even had magic within their bodies. In the parallel universe, Earthland, magic was infinite. So why not extract magic from there? It wasn't as if they would miss it. With that basis in mind, a machine was created. A machine that possessed a form of Hyper-space Magic. And that, my readers, is Anima. It opens up a portal linking Edolas to Earthland, and allowed some of Earthland's magic to be transferred over, helping to tide us over our magic woes. Though the Anima portals were used excessively over the years, not a lot of magic power came to Edolas. Our answer came in the form of our runaway Prince and now King, who had travelled around Earthland shutting down his father's portals. Unfortunately, an interview on the matter was denied. Our King, after all, is a busy man.

So here, my fellow citizens, is my judgement on the Anima project. I'd like to believe my facts are indeed, as accurate as they can be from a reporter's point of view.

THE GOOD

We use magic power for almost everything. For harder, arduous tasks, we entrust them to guilds, which had been banned roughly six years ago. Black markets for magic items opened everywhere, and for those who had a vehicle like me, it was a challenge to constantly search for a black market not yet shut down for affordable lachryma to fuel our vehicles for the road. The issue of depleting magic was at the tip of the iceberg, and the Kingdom sought out a solution for us.

Magic had to be restricted, many had either lost their lives or their jobs in guilds, courtesy of our former King's orders. Guilds were being eliminated overnight, nothing left of what it formerly was but a pile of rubble and a cracked guild sign. We had come to fear the Kingdom in terms of robbing magic power, yet we had no qualms against obtaining it from a parallel universe, taking away not just magic but the lives of others that lived similarly to the guilds we used to have. With the Anima Project, guilds would still be legal, and we would all have stable jobs that could tide us over. It is true that not a high majority of the population belonged to guilds, but the assistance they could grant us, from picking up a rare ingredient to chasing away giant swamp creatures from paddy fields. Those were things some people were not capable of, but no one had dared to openly request such needs when guilds were first declared illegal. With infinite magic, we could do everything, and even use that fire lachryma a little longer than we usually did. Magic was our everything, and any solution was plausible for us, who wanted nothing more but to use lachryma in our daily lives, and to have secure jobs.

King Faust had found us a source of power that could tide us over the depletion of magic within our lands. How bad could that be?

THE BAD