Chapter 18

Cassius was sequestered away, oblivious to the surprise party being prepared in his honor. As he readied himself, anxiety and anticipation hummed beneath his skin, a contrast to his usual cool demeanor. He called for Quincy to come upstairs, for a final check-over. "Do I look presentable?" His voice echoed. Quincy's gaze swept over him, taking in every detail with a heat that was palpable. "Finding it hard to resist me, Quincy? Because that's all I've been thinking about since seeing you this morning," Cassius smirked, his eyes filled with playful mischief as he caught sight of Quincy's blush. a blush painting his cheeks at Cassius's teasing remark.

A question hung in the air, taut as a wire, "Are you sure you want me here?" Quincy's voice was barely a whisper, the vulnerability in his eyes impossible to miss. Cassius, with a gentle smile, reassured him, "It's my birthday, Quincy. I invited you here, knowing we'd have had a far more delightful time if my parents hadn't decided to gatecrash. Of course, I want you to stay." Quincy nodded, his displeasure at Cassius's perpetual flirtatiousness, however, was palpable.

As the night unfurled, a surreal party took shape in the grandeur of Cassius's mansion. The room was a hive of activity, filled with a blend of past and present acquaintances, all engaged in animated chatter and raising toasts to the man of the hour. Suddenly, the spotlight fell on Elias, an intriguing Italian with wealth rivalling the Mediterranean's depths, who enthralled the room with his tales of Italian adventures.

Amid the dazzling spectacle, Quincy stood out. His laid-back persona was a refreshing contrast to the flamboyant festivities around. His presence sparked curiosity among the guests, with many friends and relatives asking, "Who's this?" as they pointed towards Quincy. Cassius, a hint of pride in his eyes, introduced Quincy as a special friend, noting with satisfaction as Quincy effortlessly charmed everyone with his warm smile and engaging demeanor.

Among the crowd, Cassius' sister, Alana, was here. She navigated her way through the sea of guests, her smile shining brightly. "Happy birthday, Cass!" she greeted, pulling Cassius into a warm embrace.

Her attention then turned to Quincy, her smile broadening, "Quincy, it's wonderful to see you!" She extended the same warm welcome to him, her affable nature soothing the undercurrent of tension in the room.

A curious look crossed her face as she looked back at Cassius, "Is Sarai not here tonight?" Cassius sighed, his face a mix of disappointment and resignation, "Our parents' surprise interfered with the original plans, so Sarai isn't here, unfortunately."

At Sarai's mention, Quincy's body stiffened slightly. Sensing the tension, Cassius reached out, pressing a comforting hand against Quincy, a silent message of solidarity in the midst of the bustling party.

In response to Quincy's subtle discomfort, Cassius decided to change the setting. He took Quincy by the hand and gently guided him to a private corner of the mansion, away from the prying eyes and empty pleasantries.

"Quincy," Cassius began, his voice deep and intimate, "I want to be truthful with you. This party, these people...it's all a facade. I'd rather spend the night lost in your eyes, exploring the contours of your body, or simply enjoying a stolen moment with you. You and Sarai captivate me in ways these superficial conversations with others will never do. if I'm being honest. "

His voice dropped to a whisper as he leaned in, his breath warm against Quincy's ear, "And, if I'm being completely honest, I'd, rather be secluded with you, tracing the lines of your body, lost in the intoxicating depths of our connection, than surrounded by these people I barely know or care for."

The intensity of his words hung in the air, creating a bubble around them that made the party outside seem distant and irrelevant. They were in their own world, a world where their connection was the only thing that mattered.