Chapter 19

Cassius, feeling a sudden pang of loneliness and worry, picked up his phone and dialed Sarai's number. His heart pounded in his chest as he waited for her to pick up, the rhythmic ring echoing his anxiety. When she answered, her voice sounded distant, like an echo across a vast, empty sea. This amplified his anxiety - "Sarai, where are you?" he asked, his voice straining to sound nonchalant.

"I'm on a yacht," she replied, her voice laced with the unmistakable tune of mirth, which tickled a sense of foreboding in Cassius's gut. He swallowed hard; his curiosity piqued. "With whom?" He found himself asking, his voice barely a whisper, as if afraid of the answer.

"Just my sister and some friends," Sarai responded with a soft giggle that set a thousand butterflies fluttering in his stomach. "Why, Cassius, is someone feeling a little jealous?" Her tease rang through the phone, a challenge wrapped in a laugh.

Cassius exhaled a sigh that he didn't realize he'd been holding in, his fingers tightening around the phone. "Seems like that's the theme of the day," he confessed, the words tasting bitter on his tongue. Sarai was silent for a moment before her voice came again, softer this time, laced with concern, "What's wrong, Cass? Tell me."

He leaned back, his gaze lost in the mundane pattern of the ceiling as he began narrating the day's events - his time spent with Quincy, the surprise birthday party his parents had thrown, the unexpected guest. "You didn't tell me it was your birthday! Happy birthday, handsome," Sarai interrupted, her voice warm like a comforting blanket. But the wish felt empty, a reminder of the day's events.

"Thanks, but it's not important," Cassius brushed it off, the words a mere whisper in the wind. He was never one to make a fuss about his birthday. But what bothered him was what followed next. "The important thing is that my parents invited this guy, supposedly to pique my interest, but his conduct towards Quincy was far from pleasant," he confided, a mixture of irritation, disappointment, and helplessness bleeding into his tone. He began to recount the incident, his words painting a vivid, dramatic picture of his chaotic day.

Cassius continued explaining to Sarai about Elias. the unexpected guest, had eyed Quincy with a veiled curiosity that quickly turned into poorly disguised jibes. His insinuations hung heavy in the air, his words aiming to belittle Quincy under the guise of friendly banter. The atmosphere had thickened, with Elias's true intentions creating a palpable tension in the room. Taking Elias's comments in stride, Cassius tried to diffuse the situation with laughter. However, Elias crossed a line by suggesting Quincy play the role of a server. Quincy's response had been swift and sharp, his words cutting through the pretense, leaving Elias's insecurities exposed.

"Who the hell does this Elias think he is?" Sarai snapped, her voice sharp with anger.

Cassius explains how he was caught off guard, had tried to defend Quincy, but it was too late. Quincy was already on his way out, his parting words echoing in the silent room, "Enjoy your party, Cassius."

Before Cassius could continue, Sarai interjected, her voice soft yet firm, "Cassius, this shouldn't have happened. It's not your fault. But we need to make this right for Quincy."

"Cassius, what happened after?" Sarai asked, her voice filled with worry. Cassius took a deep breath, preparing himself to recount the painful confrontation with Quincy.

"Quincy was upset, Sarai," he began, his voice heavy with regret. "He's been nursing a wounded pride. He confronted me about... us. About our relationship, and how he feels like I've been keeping him hidden behind closed doors."

Cassius went on to relay Quincy's accusations, his voice echoing the hurt and betrayal that Quincy had expressed. "He accused me of being thoughtless, of not considering what our... arrangement could mean for all of us. He's hurt, Sarai, really hurt."